Phipps is looking for dedicated people with a passion for the green world. New opportunities are posted frequently so please check back often. Qualified candidates should send their cover letter, resume and salary history via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens, Human Resources Department, One Schenley Park, Pittsburgh, PA 15213. No telephone calls, please. Phipps is an equal opportunity employer.
Click on one of the sections below to access full-time, part-time or internship positions.
Full-time employees enjoy discounts in The Shop in the Park, The Shop at Phipps and Café Phipps, free tuition for Phipps education classes, and access to Wellness programs. After a 60-day waiting period, full-time employees are eligible for health care, vision, and dental insurance, paid vacation, sick leave, paid holidays, short- and long-term disability, and life insurance. After one year and 1,000 hours, full-time employees qualify for the retirement program.
Director of Research and Science Education
Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens, a historic glasshouse and public garden in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, has been inviting visitors to discover and enjoy the natural world since 1893. In recent years, Phipps has transformed into one of the world’s greenest public gardens, serving as a model of sustainability for the next century and expanding its campus to include the first LEED certified visitor’s center in a public garden; the first LEED certified greenhouse (LEED Platinum EBOM); a revolutionary, energy efficient Tropical Forest Conservatory; and the Center for Sustainable Landscapes, a net-zero energy and water building that is the first in the world to meet four of the highest green building standards: the Living Building Challenge, LEED Platinum, Four Stars Sustainable Sites Initiative (SITES), and Platinum WELL Building certifications. Through a dynamic slate of science education programs and outreach initiatives targeted to all ages and demographics, Phipps inspires and engages people to recognize the beauty, wonder and irreplaceable value of the natural world. In all its services to the public, Phipps upholds a mission to inspire and educate all with the beauty and importance of plants; to advance sustainability and promote human and environmental well-being through action and research; and to celebrate its historic glasshouse.
Phipps seeks a Director of Research and Science Education to advance and oversee all research, science education and science communication programs at Phipps. The Director of Research and Science Education will lead in the development of the Phipps Research Institute for Biophilia and Science Engagement.
Phipps Research Institute for Biophilia and Science Engagement will focus on the following areas:
- Focus on cutting-edge or original research in the fields of human health and wellness, ecological health and wellness, education and social justice, and communication and outreach.
- Conduct and publish original research on biophilia and human and ecological wellness, particularly at the intersection of the built environment and nature.
- Conduct and publish original research in environmental psychology or in a related area relevant to Phipps.
- Increase the number of relationships and collaborative efforts with research scientists in sustainability, conservation, education, public health and psychology.
- Position Botany in Action as a national model for research and science communication.
- Explore and enhance opportunities for collaborative activities and partnerships with local academic and medical communities.
- Foster associations with professional and amateur botanical communities on regional, national and international levels.
- Lead and promote research to bring the science of nature to individuals of all education levels, with a strong emphasis on children.
- Advise and facilitate development of research programs at the Center for Sustainable Landscapes.
- Emphasis will be placed on the continuation of research collaborations now underway with local universities and organizations.
- Use the botanic garden, historic and modern structures, and other informal learning venues to enhance knowledge and understanding of the intersection of the built and natural environments and its effect on human and environmental health and well-being, and to increase community engagement in these areas.
- Incorporate social science research practices into science education programming, in order to evaluate program impact on learning and behavior, and, based on this evaluation, further improve and expand these programs and share results in the field.
- Build the Botany in Action program as a national model for research and science communication with the public.
- Increase the number of relationships and collaborative efforts with research scientists in such areas as sustainability, conservation, education, public health and psychology, including publications, presentations, on-site research projects, and advisory activities.
- Create original, research-based sustainability and environmental education programs for children, families and communities, connecting them to nature, promoting healthy and sustainable lifestyles, and increasing knowledge and awareness of science and the environment.
- Incorporate science education into all interpretation and programming.
- Build cutting-edge programming in science and environmental education focused on using the botanic garden and other informal learning venues as platforms for imparting knowledge and inspiring behavior change.
- Incorporate social science research practices into science education programming in order to evaluate its impact on learning and behavior. Based on this evaluation, further improve, expand and develop these programs and share results in the field.
- Position Phipps as one of the premier organizations in the United States for children, connecting them to nature and fostering an appreciation of science and the environment. An example of some of our current programs:
- The Fairchild Challenge
- High School Internship for Under-Resourced Youth
- Green and Growing
- Youth Seasonal Camps
- Pursue funding from governmental agencies and national and local foundations which support innovative and creatively integrated research and science and community engagement programming.
- Assist and collaborate with all departments at Phipps in all areas of Phipps’ activities, with a particular emphasis on education, evaluation, interpretation, messaging and research.
- Develop and oversee programs designed to teach scientists on how to communicate to the public.
- Help write grants and solicit funding to support Phipps’ research and discovery-based education.
- Serve as spokesperson and advocate of science education programs and research on regional, national and international levels.
- Assist with the development and growth of the Biophilia Network.
Education and Qualifications
- Ph.D. in environmental education, eco or environmental psychology, the ecological or conservation-focused biological sciences or environmental social sciences. A plant focus is preferred.
- Relevant experience in the field of science education in an informal learning environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work with children and adults in a pleasant and courteous manner to convey a positive message of activism and responsibility for the conservation of plants and ecosystem integrity.
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills, including public speaking.
- Proficiency with computer software packages including Microsoft Office.
- Excellent organization skills.
- Experience managing multiple simultaneous projects and supervising staff in a team environment.
Phipps offers a competitive compensation package and a beautiful, unique atmosphere. Please include a cover letter, curriculum vitae, salary history and three professional references when responding.
Event Sales Administrator
As one of the nation’s oldest and largest Victorian greenhouses, Phipps provides the perfect location for any special event. Phipps is seeking a full-time Event Sales Administrator in the Event Sales department to provide administrative support of Conservatory rentals. The Event Sales Administrator will promptly respond to Event Sales emails and telephone inquiries, providing potential clients with an excellent guest experience. The Event Sales Administrator will assist with social media advertising, data reporting, and will assist Event Sales Supervisors on the day of events. Preparing event estimates and contracts for clients, in addition to administrative responsibilities for the department are essential duties.
The qualified candidate must have exceptional guest service, administrative and organizational skills and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment. Weekend, evening and holiday availability is required. Associate’s degree in related field and previous experience in events preferred; a valid driver’s license is required. Phipps offers a competitive compensation package, strong benefits and unique atmosphere. Please include a cover letter, resume and salary history when responding.
Event Sales Manager
As one of the nation’s oldest and largest Victorian greenhouses, Phipps provides the perfect location for any special event. Phipps is seeking a full-time Event Sales Manager to promote, schedule and oversee all aspects of rentals at Phipps. This events professional will be responsible for developing strategy and achieving sales objectives while representing Phipps’ brand to clients. Duties will include managing client relationships and coordinating all event details, ensuring a magical guest experience. The Event Sales Manager will be responsible for maintaining appropriate accounting of rental expenses and income, focusing on yielding revenue for the company. Leading the Event Sales team, the Event Sales Manager will develop and implement policies, train and supervise Event Sales staff members and research best practices to uphold the highest quality and industry trends.
The qualified candidate must have exceptional guest service and organizational skills and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment. A Bachelor's degree and minimum of two years' experience in events management required, experience in a museum setting is preferred. Evening and weekend hours required. Phipps offers a competitive compensation package, strong benefits and unique atmosphere. Please include a cover letter, resume and salary history when responding.
Guest Service Associates
Phipps Conservatory seeks full-time Guest Service Associates with friendly smiles and extraordinary customer service skills to assist with general admissions and gift shop operations. Combine your love of people and plants to welcome guests to Phipps! The ideal candidate will enjoy greeting, engaging and interacting with our guests while fulfilling key roles in day-to-day operations. Full-time Guest Service Associates will train new hires and help set the standard for team performance, while displaying exemplary communication skills and the ability to manage multiple tasks at once.
Applicants must have flexible schedules, including weekday, evening, weekend and holiday availability. Phipps will be open extended evening hours during the months of December and January. Previous guest service experience is required. Phipps offers a competitive compensation package, strong benefits and unique atmosphere. Please include a cover letter, resume and salary history when responding.
Homegrown Garden Installation Coordinator
Homegrown is Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens’ edible garden outreach program, dedicated to increasing access to fresh produce, promoting better food choices, and improving the overall health of families and children. Homegrown fulfills these goals through vegetable gardening, by installing raised bed gardens at households in underserved neighborhoods, and providing mentorship and educational resources. At this time, Homegrown is working in Pittsburgh’s Homewood neighborhood.
Phipps is seeking a full-time Homegrown Garden Installation Coordinator to ensure that all aspects of the raised bed installation program are implemented effectively. The Garden Installation Coordinator will work in Homewood frequently, doing both physical installation and garden visits. With supervisory responsibility over two Installation Specialist Interns, the Installation Coordinator will plan seasonal workdays, coordinate the seed starting program, maintain all tools and equipment and assist with other organizational duties as needed.
The qualified candidate must have a Bachelor’s degree in Horticulture or a related field and at least 3 years of experience with hands-on landscaping or vegetable gardening, proficiency with Microsoft office suite and the ability to interact with a variety of people around gardening and healthy eating issues. Knowledge of organic vegetable gardening practices is strongly preferred. Experience supervising outdoor work crews, a PA driver’s license and the ability to operate a pick-up truck are also required. This position is physically demanding and will require working outside in all weather conditions, including evening and weekend work. Phipps offers a competitive compensation package and a beautiful, unique atmosphere. Please include a cover letter, resume and salary history when responding.
Phipps is seeking a full-time Laborer/Heavy Custodial worker to perform routine, heavy custodial and labor-related tasks. Job duties will include cleaning and ensuring proper maintenance throughout facilities, securing the facility, setting up and tearing down classes and events, assisting with the installation for flower shows and special events and performing seasonal duties as needed.
The successful candidate will have an excellent attendance record and a strong work ethic. A valid PA driver’s license is required. Must be available all shifts, including evenings and weekends. Experience in a general laborer field is preferred. Phipps offers a competitive compensation package, strong benefits and unique atmosphere. Please include a cover letter, resume and salary history when responding.
Outdoor Display Foreman
Phipps is seeking a full-time Outdoor Display Foreman to manage the daily details of specific outdoor gardens, assuring exceptional horticulture and immaculate maintenance at all times. Essential duties and responsibilities will include planting and maintaining outdoor gardens, diagnosing plant health concerns (both physiological and stress related), and soil management while incorporating best sustainable practices into daily routines. The Outdoor Display Foreman will assist with the garden design for upcoming seasons, prepare gardens prior to events, and supervise staff, interns and volunteers. Putting a friendly Phipps face on horticulture, the Outdoor Display Foreman will lead tours, write articles, and respond to general garden inquiries from the public and the press.
A bachelor's degree in horticulture or related field is required, as well as a minimum of five years’ work experience in a botanical garden. Must be able to operate a bobcat, forklift and other equipment as needed and acquire a Pennsylvania pesticide applicator license within six months of hire. Phipps offers a competitive compensation package, strong benefits and unique atmosphere. Please include a cover letter, resume and salary history when responding.
Phipps is seeking a full-time Senior Accountant to prepare timely and accurate financial statements, oversee maintenance of Phipps’ accounting and financial records and administer financial policies and procedures, including the coordination of audits and compliance. The Senior Accountant will provide for the maintenance of the general ledgers, general journals and bank accounts while maintaining an effective cash management system and monitoring grant funding. The Senior Accountant will prepare daily, monthly, quarterly and annual reports and will work with the Chief Financial Officer to prepare Phipps’ annual budget and tax returns.
A bachelor’s degree in accounting and three years’ relevant experience in nonprofit finance is required. CPA certification is a plus. Phipps offers a competitive compensation package, strong benefits and unique atmosphere. Please include a cover letter, resume and salary history when responding.
Part-time employees receive discounts in The Shop in the Park, The Shop at Phipps and Café Phipps, and access to Wellness programs. By maintaining an average of 15 hours per week, part-time employees can enroll in Phipps education classes tuition-free. After one year and 1,000 hours, part-time employees are eligible for the retirement program.
As one of the nation’s oldest and largest Victorian greenhouses, Phipps provides the perfect location for any special event. Phipps is continuously seeking part-time Event Assistants to assist at weddings, receptions, showers, holiday parties, corporate meetings and other events throughout the year. Candidates must have a flexible schedule, including the ability to work weekday evenings and weekends. Enjoy gift shop and café discounts, tuition-free education classes and access to retirement plan after meeting qualifications. Please include a cover letter, resume and salary history when responding.
Guest Service Associates
Phipps is continuously seeking part-time Guest Service Associates with friendly smiles and extraordinary customer service skills to assist with general admissions and gift shop operations. Combine your love of people and plants to welcome guests to Phipps! The ideal candidate will enjoy greeting, engaging and interacting with our guests while assisting in day-to-day operations. Applicants must have flexible schedules (15–20 hours per week), including weekday, Friday evening, weekend and holiday availability. Phipps will be open extended evening hours the month of December. Enjoy gift shop and café discount, access to tuition-free education classes and retirement plan after meeting qualifications. Please include a cover letter, resume and salary history when responding.
Guest Service Supervisor
Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens is seeking a part-time Guest Service Supervisor to assist the Admissions and Gift Shop Managers with the organization and day-to-day operations of the guest service area. Duties include opening and closing Admissions and the Gift Shop, greeting the public and assisting guests at the Conservatory, training, and supervising Guest Service Associates. The qualified candidate must have exceptional customer service skills, a minimum of two years' increasingly responsible retail/customer service experience and excellent computer skills. Weekend, evening and holiday availability is required; museum/nonprofit experience is a plus. Phipps offers a competitive compensation package, strong benefits and unique atmosphere. Please include a cover letter, resume and salary history when responding.
Interns receive discounts in The Shop in the Park, The Shop at Phipps and Café Phipps, and access to Wellness programs. By maintaining an average of 15 hours per week, Interns can enroll in Phipps education classes tuition-free.
Science Education Intern
Phipps is offering a 12-month Science Education internship to students interested in gaining experience in early childhood education and outreach initiatives. The intern will help to strengthen and create new participatory programs for children and families in the areas of sustainability, conservation, art and science, mindfulness, scientific communication, citizen science, healthy living, and related topics. The goal of programming is to create a positive relationship between people and the natural world. The intern will also represent Phipps at community events, present on Phipps’ innovative green initiatives, and other duties as needed.
This paid internship commences either December 2016 or January 2017, with 15-20 hours/week during the school year and 40 hours/week during the summer months. Some evening and weekend work required. The student should be currently enrolled in an undergraduate program at least halfway through the course of study, one year post-graduate, or a current graduate student. The degree focus must be in an area related to Phipps’ Science Education and Research department, e.g., environmental education, environmental social sciences, ecological or conservation-based biological sciences, etc. A valid driver’s license and reliable transportation for off-site programs (mileage reimbursed) are preferred. Experience working with early childhood education is a plus.
Application deadline: 11/11/2016. Interested candidates should email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please reference SCIENCE EDUCATION INTERNSHIP in the subject line.
Phipps offers paid summer internships in Horticulture, Discovery Education and Homegrown, running from May to August. Information on summer 2017 internships will be released in January 2017.
Phipps also offers paid High Shool Internships in June and July. More information about high school internships can be found on the internship page: https://phipps.conservatory.org/classes-and-programs/for-educators/high-school-internships/
Photo © Paul g. Wiegman