Bowties & Butterflies
Thursday, April 24, 2014
6:30 – 10 p.m.
Celebrate changing seasons and fluttering friends at this delightful garden gala.
Carol & Joe Massaro
Honorary Event Chair
Dr. Jeanne DeMoss and Dr. Theresa L. Nimick-Whiteside
Host Committee Co-Chairs
Join us for a garden party as we welcome beautiful butterflies back to our Stove Room and celebrate the return of spring. On this delightful evening, you are invited to enjoy select wines, refreshing themed cocktails, delectable hors d’oeuvres and other choice foods as live performers entertain. Plus, catch a sneak peak of Summer Flower Show and Garden Railroad as we make the transition from one enchanting season to the next.
VIP Reception 6:30 – 7:30 p.m.
Fine wines and small plates
Flights of Fancy Reception 7:30 – 10 p.m.
Wines and hors d'oeuvres
Benefactor tickets are $150 per person and include the private VIP Reception at 6:30 p.m. and Flights of Fancy Reception at 7:30 p.m.
Patron tickets are $125 per person and include the Flights of Fancy Reception at 7:30 p.m.
Additional support levels include the Chairman's Circle ($5,000), Trustee's Society ($3,000), Director's Circle ($1,000) and Event Donors ($500).
Complimentary valet parking will be available. Attire is garden party cocktail, business and outrageous bowties!
To reserve your tickets, click on the "View Ticket Options" button below, or contact us at 412/651-5281 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reply by April 17, 2014.
Questions? Please call Rachel Kernic at 412/622-6915, ext. 6404.
includes private VIP Reception at 6:30 p.m. and Flights of Fancy Reception at 7:30 p.m.
includes Flights of Fancy Reception at 7:30 p.m.
|Additional Support - Chairman's Circle
|Additional Support - Trustee's Society
|Additional Support - Director's Circle
|Additional Support - Event Donors
Honorary Host Committee
Phipps also invites you to help us lead this celebration in a special way by joining our Honorary Host Committee.
Other Featured Exhibits & Events
- Summer Flower Show
- May 10 – Oct. 5, 2014
- The whimsical miniature world of Garden Railroad takes center stage at Phipps this summer. With themed railroad displays in multiple exhibit rooms enhanced by unique plantings, interactive features and more, this show will bring the wonder of childhood to visitors of all ages.
- Romero the Corpse Flower
Turns Over a New Leaf
- Last year, he wowed thousands with his inimitable odor, and this year, he’s back with an amazing new look. After 10 dormant months, Romero has produced an enormous leaf to collect energy for his next big bloom. Visit the Tropical Forest Conservatory to see his transformation firsthand.
- Farmers at Phipps
- Wednesdays, June – October 2014
2:30 – 6:30 p.m.
- Refresh your food shopping experience! Visit our sustainably managed front lawn to browse organic and Certified Naturally Grown fruits, vegetables and more from local farms.
- Biophilia: Pittsburgh
- Next Meeting Oct. 2, 2014
6 p.m., with networking and refreshments at 5:30 p.m.
- Biophilia: Pittsburgh is the pilot chapter for a Biophilia Network of creative minds meeting monthly to discuss strengthening the bond between people and the natural world through education, discussion and action. Meetings are free to attend; advance RSVP is required. Join the conversation!
- Party in the Tropics
- Select Fridays
Next Party Oct. 3, 2014
7 – 11 p.m.
- Gather your friends and get ready to dine, drink and dance the night away at Phipps! Make our paradise your own as you indulge in sweet and savory morsels, taste unique cocktails, and dance to the beats of a live DJ in our Tropical Forest Conservatory. Entry is free with Conservatory admission.
BETA Art Tours
- First and third Saturdays, July – October 2014
Next Tour Oct. 4
11 a.m. – noon
- Discover the BETA Project, a new collection of art at the Center for Sustainable Landscapes designed to enhance and restore the bonds between people and the natural world. Tours are free for members; however, space is limited and reservations are required by the Thursday prior to each tour date. To reserve, please contact us at 412/622-6915, ext. 6505 or email@example.com.
- Fall Flower Show
- Oct. 18 – Nov. 9, 2014
- In celebration of the harvest season and its changing hues, this colorful exhibit showcases beautiful chrysanthemums, vibrant foliage and other festive flowers as tiny trains wind their way through many of the Conservatory’s display rooms.
- Halloween Happenings
- Oct. 24, 2014
4 – 8 p.m.
- When you feel a chill in the air and start to see pumpkins everywhere, you know it's almost Halloween! Bring costumed kids for a spooktacular time in the gardens as we offer a host of healthy snacks and family fun, including games and a pot-a-plant activity. All activities are free with Conservatory admission.
- Native Plant and Sustainability Conference
- Nov. 1, 2014
8:30 a.m. – 2:45 p.m.
William Pitt Union, University of Pittsburgh
- Phipps’ annual Native Plant and Sustainability Conference brings together national experts for a one-day forum on plants, landscapes and our roles as environmental stewards. This year’s program pairs an entomologist with a landscape designer to help illuminate how a well-designed landscape can be a place of beauty while fulfilling several important ecological functions.
- Garden Railroad
- Now Open
- A unique twist on the traditional Garden Railroad, this year's display takes you to Phipps Prehistoric Park — a whimsical world where dinosaurs are brought back to life! Full of surprises, detailed models, moving parts and trains, this can't-miss exhibit is a thrilling adventure for all ages.
- Tropical Forest India
- Now Open
- Explore our new exhibit showcasing one of the most botanically rich regions of the world. Highlights include an Ayurvedic healing garden, spice and tea market displays, a stunning temple facade on Special Events Hall, and more!