Food Revolution Day Pittsburgh
May 17, 2013
Starting at 10:30 a.m.
Join Phipps, Let's Move Pittsburgh and Food Revolution Pittsburgh for a day of fun activities to raise awareness about the importance of good food and better food education.
Food Revolution Pittsburgh — a new initiative spurred by internationally renowned chef Jamie Oliver and spearheaded locally by a group of 23 One Young World delegates — will join the global movement to raise awareness about the importance of good food and better food education with two Food Revolution Day events — and you’re invited to participate!
Stirring Up Family Fun
Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens
This interactive cooking demonstration with Stephanie Gelberd, executive chef of Café Phipps, offers fun for all ages and ideas for healthy recipes to prepare at home. As participants, kids will have the opportunity to help create delicious dishes, followed by chances to taste fruits, pot edible plants, and take part in a fun walking challenge with prizes. Activities are free with Conservatory admission; kids under two and Phipps members enter for free.
Healthy Chef Competition
The Barack Obama Academy of International Studies
After school lets out, the second event will kick off at The Barack Obama Academy of International Studies, where The Environmental Charter School at Frick Park (ECS) and Bar Marco will pair ten local celebrity chefs with the 20 cooking club students from The Barack Obama Academy. Together, they will reinvent ten traditional school lunch dishes to make them more invigorating. There will also be an onsite community fair at which attendees can meet area farmers, sign up for CSAs and more. Both activities are free and open to the public.
Other Featured Exhibits & Events
- Winter Light Garden
and Flower Show
- Nov. 29, 2013 – Jan. 12, 2014;
Winter Light Garden open evenings 5 – 11 p.m.*
- Open the doors to a magical world of glass, light and blooms. With glowing evergreens, festive poinsettias, brand-new illuminated glass installations and our stunning outdoor Winter Light Garden, Phipps will sparkle and shine like never before this holiday season.
- *Weather permitting
- Garden Railroad
- Now Open
- A unique twist on the traditional Garden Railroad, this year's display takes you to Phipps Prehistoric Park — a whimsical world where dinosaurs are brought back to life! Full of surprises, detailed models, moving parts and trains, this can't-miss exhibit is a thrilling adventure for all ages.
- Candlelight Evenings
- Nov. 29, 2013 – Jan. 12, 2014
Extended Hours: Open until 11 p.m.*
- Winter Flower Show is even more enchanting at night – a time when glowing candles light your way and live music fills the air.
- *Note: We close at 5 p.m. on Dec. 24 and reopen at 9:30 a.m. on Dec. 26. Our Tropical Forest Conservatory is not part of Candlelight Evenings but will be open Fridays and other evenings if a private event is not scheduled.
- Santa Visits
- Saturdays and Sundays, Nov. 30 – Dec. 22, 2013, plus Nov. 29 and Dec. 2
11 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Bring little ones, or the entire family, to pose for a festive photo with Santa: It’s a perfect way to get into the spirit of the season and share a special memory with friends on your holiday mailing list! Santa Visits are free with Phipps admission.
- Inspire Speakers Series
- Second Thursday of every month, November 2013 – May 2014, except where noted
Next Event Dec. 12, 2013
5:30 – 8 p.m.
- Green Building Alliance (GBA) and Phipps collaborate to host a second year of all-star local and national guest speakers at the Center for Sustainable Landscapes. Registration with GBA is required.
- Members-Only Shopping Hours and Discount
- Saturday, Dec. 14, 2013
7:30 – 9:30 a.m.
- Members: Have the Shop at Phipps all to yourselves as we open early just for you. Enjoy complimentary coffee and pastries as you browse our exquisite collection of unique gifts. Plus, get an extra 10-percent off on top of your member discount!
- Biophilia: Pittsburgh
- First Thursday of Each Month
Next Meeting Jan. 2, 2014
- Biophilia: Pittsburgh is the pilot chapter for a Biophilia Network of creative minds meeting monthly to discuss strengthening the bond between people and the natural world through education, discussion and action. Meetings are free to attend; advance RSVP is required. Join the conversation!
- Party in the Tropics
- Select Fridays
Next Party Jan. 3, 2014
7 – 11 p.m.
- Gather your friends and get ready to dine, drink and dance the night away at Phipps! Make our paradise your own as you indulge in sweet and savory morsels, taste unique cocktails, and dance to the beats of a live DJ in our Tropical Forest Conservatory. Entry is free with Conservatory admission.
- Brunch in Bloom
- Sundays, Jan. 5 and 12, 2014
Seatings available at 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.
- One of Pittsburgh’s best-kept foodie secrets returns for the holiday season! Join us to indulge in some of the freshest local, sustainable and seasonal flavors around town. Seating is limited, so RSVP today; Conservatory admission is included in the price!
- Tropical Forest India
- Now Open
- Explore our new exhibit showcasing one of the most botanically rich regions of the world. Highlights include an Ayurvedic healing garden, spice and tea market displays, a stunning temple facade on Special Events Hall, and more!