Tropical Forest India Yoga Festival
March 1 – 7, 2013
11 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Discover the rejuvenating powers of yoga in our Tropical Forest Conservatory.
Originating in ancient India, yoga has persisted for thousands of years, becoming a common practice around the world – and there’s no better place to learn about its health-promoting power than within the serene environs of our Tropical Forest India exhibit.
Free to attend with regular paid admission to Phipps, presentations from local instructors on a variety of yoga-themed topics will be held in the Tropical Forest Conservatory from 11 a.m. – noon on March 1 and 4 – 7, and from 11 a.m. – noon and 1:30 – 2:30 p.m. on March 2 and 3. All week, children can create rangoli — beautiful Indian mosaics made by using natural materials like beans and flower petals to color in numerous shapes and forms — from 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. Additionally, on weekend days, Saturday and Sunday, festival-goers can participate in Indian-inspired food tastings from 11 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Special Guest Instructors:
Deena Blumenfeld, Jennifer Ferris-Glick, Alicia Fronczek, Elizabeth Green, Kimberly Musial, Kendell Romanelli, Paul Richards, Jessica Server
Other Featured Exhibits & Events
- Summer Flower Show
- May 10 – Oct. 5, 2014
- The whimsical miniature world of Garden Railroad takes center stage at Phipps this summer. With themed railroad displays in multiple exhibit rooms enhanced by unique plantings, interactive features and more, this show will bring the wonder of childhood to visitors of all ages.
- Butterfly Forest
- April 26 – Sept. 1, 2014
- Watch as gorgeous butterflies emerge from their chrysalises to soar and glide among colorful, bug-friendly blooms. One may even land on you!
- Farmers at Phipps
- Wednesdays, June – October 2014
2:30 – 6:30 p.m.
- Refresh your food shopping experience! Visit our sustainably managed front lawn to browse organic and Certified Naturally Grown fruits, vegetables and more from local farms.
BETA Art Tours
- First and third Saturdays, July – August 2014
11 a.m. – noon
- Discover the BETA Project, a new collection of art at the Center for Sustainable Landscapes designed to enhance and restore the bonds between people and the natural world. Tours are free for members; however, space is limited and reservations are required by the Thursday prior to each tour date. To reserve, please contact us at 412/622-6915, ext. 6505 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Members-Only: Sound Walk
with Abby Aresty
- July 26, 2014
9:30 – 10:45 a.m.
- This event is now booked to capacity; members may reserve to be placed on a waitlist. Members are invited to join artist Abby Aresty for a special “sound walk” through nearby Schenley Park and learn about Of Earth and Sun, her audio installation at the Center for Sustainable Landscapes. This event is free for members; however, space is limited and reservations are required.
- Party in the Tropics
- Select Fridays
Next Party Aug. 1, 2014
7 – 11 p.m.
- Gather your friends and get ready to dine, drink and dance the night away at Phipps! Make our paradise your own as you indulge in sweet and savory morsels, taste unique cocktails, and dance to the beats of a live DJ in our Tropical Forest Conservatory. Entry is free with Conservatory admission.
- Jack Buncher Foundation
Free Admission Day
- Aug. 4, 2014
9:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Phipps is thrilled to announce that all Conservatory guests will be admitted free of charge on Monday, Aug. 4, 2014 thanks to a generous grant from the Jack Buncher Foundation. Join us on this special day to enjoy our Summer Flower Show, Butterfly Forest and Tropical Forest Conservatory.
- Biophilia: Pittsburgh
- Next Meeting Aug. 7, 2014
6 p.m., with networking and refreshments at 5:30 p.m.
- Biophilia: Pittsburgh is the pilot chapter for a Biophilia Network of creative minds meeting monthly to discuss strengthening the bond between people and the natural world through education, discussion and action. Meetings are free to attend; advance RSVP is required. Join the conversation!
- Members-Only Bring a Friend Day
- Aug. 11, 2014
9:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- On this special day, bring a nonmember guest to experience the serenity and beauty of Phipps free of charge. Just show your membership card at the admissions desk to give someone special a treat to remember!
- Red, Ripe and Roasted: Tomato and Garlic Festival
- Aug. 24, 2014
11 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Celebrate two of western Pennsylvania’s tastiest summer crops at our 10th annual tomato and garlic festival. Our historic front lawn will come alive with delicious food and family fun, including cooking demos, a farmer’s market, kids’ activities, special guests and more. Bring a donation for the Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank and receive free admission!
- Garden to Plate Dinner
- Sunday, Sept. 7, 2014
6:30 – 9 p.m.
- Join us for an unforgettable Sunday dinner, a bountiful garden-to-plate feast of fresh, locally grown fare, select wines and special entertainment.
- Garden Railroad
- Now Open
- A unique twist on the traditional Garden Railroad, this year's display takes you to Phipps Prehistoric Park — a whimsical world where dinosaurs are brought back to life! Full of surprises, detailed models, moving parts and trains, this can't-miss exhibit is a thrilling adventure for all ages.
- Tropical Forest India
- Now Open
- Explore our new exhibit showcasing one of the most botanically rich regions of the world. Highlights include an Ayurvedic healing garden, spice and tea market displays, a stunning temple facade on Special Events Hall, and more!