Party in the Tropics
Next Party Oct. 3, 2014
7 – 11 p.m.
Dine, drink and dance the night away in our tropical paradise!
Don’t be a wallflower – get down under glass! Gather your friends, then head to Phipps for a healthy dose of revelry and rejuvenation as our Tropical Forest Conservatory transforms into one of the city’s most unique nightspots. This is no typical stroll through the gardens: At this reoccurring party, you can make our paradise your own as you indulge in sweet and savory morsels, taste unique cocktails, and dance to the beats of a live DJ – all surrounded by lush greenery, rushing waterfalls and exotic plants. You won’t find a venue like this anywhere else in the ‘Burgh!
Party in the Tropics will be held on the following Fridays in 2014:
Entry to these special events is free with Phipps admission, and a variety of appetizers and drinks will be offered for purchase throughout the night. Open only to guests 21 or older with a valid ID. Limited complimentary parking is available to Phipps guests in numbered spaces located in the center island on Schenley Drive and in the metered spaces along the street after 6 p.m. Make your plans today to come and let us carry you away!
Other Featured Exhibits & Events
- Summer Flower Show
- May 10 – Oct. 5, 2014
- The whimsical miniature world of Garden Railroad takes center stage at Phipps this summer. With themed railroad displays in multiple exhibit rooms enhanced by unique plantings, interactive features and more, this show will bring the wonder of childhood to visitors of all ages.
- Romero the Corpse Flower
Turns Over a New Leaf
- Last year, he wowed thousands with his inimitable odor, and this year, he’s back with an amazing new look. After 10 dormant months, Romero has produced an enormous leaf to collect energy for his next big bloom. Visit the Tropical Forest Conservatory to see his transformation firsthand.
- Farmers at Phipps
- Wednesdays, June – October 2014
2:30 – 6:30 p.m.
- Refresh your food shopping experience! Visit our sustainably managed front lawn to browse organic and Certified Naturally Grown fruits, vegetables and more from local farms.
BETA Art Tours
- First and third Saturdays, July – October 2014
11 a.m. – noon
- Discover the BETA Project, a new collection of art at the Center for Sustainable Landscapes designed to enhance and restore the bonds between people and the natural world. Tours are free for members; however, space is limited and reservations are required by the Thursday prior to each tour date. To reserve, please contact us at 412/622-6915, ext. 6505 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Tropical Forest India Festival
- Sept. 21, 2014
11 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Join us in the Tropical Forest Conservatory for our final Tropical Forest India festival as we celebrate plants, food and culture through fun activities, live music, food tastings and more. The festival is free with Phipps admission.
- Members-Only: Peek Behind the Petals
- Sept. 27, 2014
9:30 – 10:15 a.m.
- Take a fascinating look at the global adventures of our Botany in Action Fellows at this edition of our members-only Peek Behind the Petals series. This event is free for members; however, space is limited and reservations are required by Sept. 20. To reserve, please contact us at 412/622-6915, ext. 6505 or email@example.com.
- Botany in Action: Meet the Scientists
- Sept. 27, 2014
1 – 2:30 p.m.
- Our Botany in Action fellows will be stationed throughout the Tropical Forest India exhibit to display their research tools, answer your questions and offer intriguing details about the work of field scientists.
- Biophilia: Pittsburgh
- Next Meeting Oct. 2, 2014
6 p.m., with networking and refreshments at 5:30 p.m.
- Biophilia: Pittsburgh is the pilot chapter for a Biophilia Network of creative minds meeting monthly to discuss strengthening the bond between people and the natural world through education, discussion and action. Meetings are free to attend; advance RSVP is required. Join the conversation!
- Garden Railroad
- Now Open
- A unique twist on the traditional Garden Railroad, this year's display takes you to Phipps Prehistoric Park — a whimsical world where dinosaurs are brought back to life! Full of surprises, detailed models, moving parts and trains, this can't-miss exhibit is a thrilling adventure for all ages.
- Tropical Forest India
- Now Open
- Explore our new exhibit showcasing one of the most botanically rich regions of the world. Highlights include an Ayurvedic healing garden, spice and tea market displays, a stunning temple facade on Special Events Hall, and more!