Headwaters of the Amazon
Through Jan. 1, 2012
A visit to our Tropical Forest Conservatory takes you to the Headwaters of the Amazon in a stunning, lush exhibit.
Featuring new plants and displays, Tropical Forest: Headwaters of the Amazon introduces you to the unique cultures and ecosystems of this diverse and exciting region. Beginning less than 100 miles from the Pacific Ocean, the first trickle of water that forms the massive 6,500 mile long river collects on Mount Nevado Mismi, in southern Peru.
The Andean mountain range boasts both the highest navigable lake and the deepest gorge in the world. Come explore the unparalleled variety of flora and fauna found in these ancient and complex ecosystems, collected and displayed with care in Phipps' 12,000 square foot Tropical Forest Conservatory, the most energy-efficient of its kind in the world.
Other Featured Exhibits & Events
- Summer Flower Show:
Glass in the Gardens
- April 27 – Oct. 6, 2013
- The dazzling glass creations of artists working in Pittsburgh and Pennsylvania will make our gardens shimmer and shine all summer long. Highlights include lifelike floral forms, whimsical long-legged birds, rotating stained-glass towers, and a large, articulated woolly mammoth skeleton.
- Butterfly Forest
- April 20 – Sept. 2, 2013
- Like flowers that fly, our butterfly residents will enchant nature-lovers of every age. Watch as gorgeous species such as Monarchs and Zebra Longwings emerge from their chrysalises to flutter among cheerful, bug-friendly blooms.
- Party in the Tropics
- Select Fridays in 2013, starting Feb. 8
7 – 11 p.m.
- Gather your friends and get ready to dine, drink and dance the night away at Phipps! Make our paradise your own as you indulge in sweet and savory morsels, taste unique cocktails, and dance to the beats of a live DJ in our Tropical Forest Conservatory. Entry is free with Conservatory admission.
- Butterfly Weekend
- June 1 and 2, 2013
Saturday, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.; Sunday, 11 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- In celebration of one of nature’s most important pollinators, Phipps and Carnegie Science Center are hosting Butterfly Weekend on June 1 and June 2. This two-day celebration will give visitors a chance to learn about the life cycle of butterflies and discover why these amazing insects have a remarkable ability to navigate, orient and migrate.
- Farmers at Phipps
- Wednesdays, June – October 2013
2:30 – 6:30 p.m.
- Refresh your food shopping experience! Visit our sustainably managed front lawn to browse organic and Certified Naturally Grown fruits, vegetables and more from local farms.
- Inspire Speakers Series
- Second Thurs. of every month, Oct. 2012-June 2013
5:30-8:30 p.m., except where noted
- Green Building Alliance (GBA) and Phipps are collaborating to host a monthly speaker series at the new Center for Sustainable Landscapes (CSL) on our Oakland campus. Join us to enjoy captivating presentations from local and national experts on the subject of healthy, high-performance green buildings. Registration with GBA is required.
- Floral Notes: Jazz in the Garden
- Tuesday, June 18, 2013
6:30 – 9 p.m.
- As the summer heats up, enjoy an evening of cool jazz surrounded by colorful flowers and lush plants. Relax in our Outdoor Garden with the live music of Pittsburgh’s own Elevations and Velvet Heat as you savor small bites and delicious drinks.
- Garden Variety:
A Farm-to-Phipps Dinner
- Sunday, July 21, 2013
6:30 – 9 p.m.
- Enjoy a rustic yet elegant farm-to-table dinner experience with fresh, handpicked selections from our region’s farms. If you love a food adventure, you won’t want to miss this chance to join local growers and artisans for this one-of-a-kind meal.
- Tropical Forest India
- Now Open
- Explore our new exhibit showcasing one of the most botanically rich regions of the world. Highlights include an Ayurvedic healing garden, spice and tea market displays, a stunning temple facade on Special Events Hall, and more!