Fall Flower Show
Oct. 13-Nov. 4, 2012
Experience the spectacular colors of harvest as thousands of chrysanthemums come into full bloom.
Capturing the richest and most vibrant colors of autumn, Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens’ Fall Flower Show opens on Oct. 13, 2012 with an elaborate display of nearly 3,000 chrysanthemums arranged in festive, and often whimsical, garden scenes. Always a treat for the senses, this is one seasonal exhibit of blooms and foliage in hues of harvest-inspired deep purples, bright greens, brilliant yellows, bold reds, and warm oranges that you will not want to miss.
With a long history of cultivation recorded as far back as the 15th Century B.C., chrysanthemums—the season’s signature flower—are grown using a variety of techniques to produce an array of results (from elegant cascades to showy, single-flowered disbuds) and form blossoms that fall into 13 classes (from large “spiders” with tentacle-like florets to small button-like “pompons”)—all of which will be on display at Fall Flower Show. Other delightful sites that await you include:
• A clever Serpentine Room display illustrating the autumnal color changes of plants from green to yellow, orange, red, or purple to brown;
• Smoke-breathing dragon fountain heads with oak leaf scales, and 120 yellow and red Chinese lanterns in the Sunken Garden—one for each year Phipps has been in existence;
• Wine barrel and fruit crate planters, grape vines and a living wall in Palm Court;
• And, an under-the-sea East Room exhibit with “coral reef” flower beds, “jellyfish” hanging baskets and silk wind sock “fish.”
Our ever-popular Garden Railroad in the South Conservatory will also make its debut for Fall Flower Show, taking you back in time to 1893—the year that Phipps opened—as the very first Conservatory plants make their railway journey from the World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago, winding past farms and industrial centers, and crossing over vast rivers, to reach Pittsburgh. Presented in conjunction with a complementary exhibit at the Carnegie Museum of Art, this bustling living landscape celebrating Phipps’ past is sure to capture your imagination and carry you away!
Behind the Scenes: Take a look at this time-lapse video documenting the installation of our new East Room exhibit for a preview of Fall Flower Show.
Other Featured Exhibits & Events
- Summer Flower Show:
Glass in the Gardens
- April 27 – Oct. 6, 2013
- Butterfly Forest
- April 20 – Sept. 2, 2013
- Party in the Tropics
- Select Fridays in 2013, starting Feb. 8
7 – 11 p.m.
- Butterfly Weekend
- June 1 and 2, 2013
Saturday, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.; Sunday, 11 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Farmers at Phipps
- Wednesdays, June – October 2013
2:30 – 6:30 p.m.
- Inspire Speakers Series
- Second Thurs. of every month, Oct. 2012-June 2013
5:30-8:30 p.m., except where noted
- Floral Notes: Jazz in the Garden
- Tuesday, June 18, 2013
6:30 – 9 p.m.
- Garden Variety:
A Farm-to-Phipps Dinner
- Sunday, July 21, 2013
6:30 – 9 p.m.
- Tropical Forest India
- Now Open