Red, Ripe & Roasted: Tomato and Garlic Festival
Aug. 26, 2012
11 a.m.-5 p.m.
Come celebrate summer's bounty!
Join us and the Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank in celebrating two of western Pennsylvania's quintessential summer crops during our 8th annual tomato and garlic festival: Red, Ripe & Roasted. Held on our historic and sustainably managed front lawn, this family-friendly event will feature a farmers' market with organic and certified naturally grown produce from local farms; a roasting station with Phipps-grown garlic; cooking demos and tastings offered by Café Phipps and other festival participants; and fun activities for kids, including garlic bulb planting and face painting. Other event highlights include:
• A special appearance by beloved home gardening television host, award-winning producer and celebrated writer Doug Oster, who will also be on hand to sell and sign copies of his popular book “Tomatoes Garlic Basil”;
• A tomato contest for which gardeners are invited to enter their ugliest, smallest or largest ripe tomatoes for a chance to win special prizes;
• A guest presentation from Trina Clickner, author of "A Miscellany of Garlic”;
• A plant clinic run by Phipps Master Gardeners, who will be available all day to answer gardening questions from the public;
• And, community tables staffed by the Chatham University Food Studies Program, the Herb Society of America-Western Pennsylvania Unit, the Environmental Charter School at Frick Park, the Italian Garden Project, and many other local groups and organizations.
Come with a bag of fresh produce to donate to the Food Bank, or purchase some fresh fruit and veggies onsite, and receive free admission to the festival and to Summer Flower Show: Fountains of Youth during event hours. You won't want to miss this great event for a great cause!
Other Featured Exhibits & Events
- Summer Flower Show:
Glass in the Gardens
- April 27 – Oct. 6, 2013
- Butterfly Forest
- April 20 – Sept. 2, 2013
- Garden Variety:
A Farm-to-Phipps Dinner
- Sunday, July 21, 2013
6:30 – 9 p.m.
- Farmers at Phipps
- Wednesdays, June – October 2013
2:30 – 6:30 p.m.
- Party in the Tropics
- Select Fridays in 2013
7 – 11 p.m.
- Summer Short Course with David Culp
- Thursday, July 11, 2013
8:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
- Tropical Forest India
- Now Open