Spring Flower Show
March 22 – April 20, 2014
Drawing inspiration from Pittsburgh’s musical soul, Phipps comes alive with melody and rhythm
Take a toe-tapping journey through a musical world where melodies bloom like flowers. This year, Spring Flower Show combines music and garden design for a sensational new exhibit filled with sights, sounds and scents that are sure to have you singing.
From one room to the next, musical genres from swing and big band to blues and rock ´n roll will be showcased through whimsical sculptures made out of up-cycled instruments; surprising planters like an upright piano; and carefully orchestrated plantings designed to mimic the rise and fall of musical notes as they move up and down the scale. Popular songs will also be piped through some of the rooms, adding to the multi-sensory experience.
The stars of the show, of course, will be the thousands of vibrant tulips, daffodils, hyacinths and other seasonal favorites, in addition to some new highlights, including several varieties of primula, foxtail lilies and Himalayan blue poppies. Arranged in spectacular groupings according to color and theme, each plant will be carefully placed to add scope to and enliven each scene, from blue and purple flowers representing the blues genre, to rainbow-hued blooms coming together to form the bars of a larger-than-life xylophone.
Spring Flower Show, designed by Hays Landscape Architecture Studio, Ltd., runs through April 20. Exhibit hours are 9:30 a.m. – 5 p.m. daily and until 10 p.m. on Fridays. Admission is $15 for adults, $14 for seniors and students, and $11 for children (ages 2 – 18). Members and children under 2 enter for free.
Photos © Paul g. Wiegman
Other Featured Exhibits & Events
- Winter Light Garden
and Flower Show
- Nov. 28, 2014 – Jan. 11, 2015;
Winter Light Garden open evenings 5 – 11 p.m.*
- Take a walk in our Winter Wonderland as we bring to life one of the most beloved carols of all time. With glowing evergreens, festive poinsettias, illuminated glass and our stunning outdoor Winter Light Garden, Phipps will sparkle and shine like never before this holiday season.
- *Weather permitting
- Garden Railroad
- A unique twist on the traditional Garden Railroad, this year's display takes you back in time to the California Gold Rush — complete with water features, interactive buttons for children to push, and miniature living plants.
- Candlelight Evenings
- Nov. 28, 2014 – Jan. 11, 2015*
Extended Hours: Open until 11 p.m.
- Winter Flower Show is even more enchanting at night – a time when glowing candles light your way and live music fills the air.
- *Note: Phipps will close at 5 p.m. on Dec. 24 and reopen at 9:30 a.m. on Dec. 26.
- Santa Visits
- Saturdays and Sundays, Nov. 29 – Dec. 20, 2014, plus Nov. 28 and Dec. 1
11 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Bring the kids, or the entire family, to pose for a photo with Santa: It’s a perfect way to get into the spirit of the season and share a special memory with your holiday mailing list! Santa Visits are free with Phipps admission.
- Gifts and Greens Market
- Dec. 4 – 6, 2014
Thursday and Friday, 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Free and open to the public, this special holiday shopping tradition at Phipps Garden Center is sure to help you find the perfect gifts for everyone on your list this season.
- Biophilia: Pittsburgh
- Next Meeting Dec. 4, 2014
6 p.m., with networking and refreshments at 5:30 p.m.
- Biophilia: Pittsburgh is the pilot chapter for a Biophilia Network of creative minds meeting monthly to discuss strengthening the bond between people and the natural world through education, discussion and action. Meetings are free to attend; advance RSVP is required. Join the conversation!
BETA Art Tours
- First and third Saturdays, December 2014
Next Tour Dec. 6, 2014
11 a.m. – noon
- Discover the BETA Project, a new collection of art at the Center for Sustainable Landscapes designed to enhance and restore the bonds between people and the natural world. Tours are free for members; however, space is limited and reservations are required by the Thursday prior to each tour date. To reserve, please contact us at 412/622-6915, ext. 6505 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Saturdays with the Sugarplum Fairy
- Sat., Dec. 6 and 13, 2014
10:30 – 11 a.m.
- Phipps and Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre are pleased to present Saturdays with the Sugarplum Fairy, 30-minute creative movement dance classes and story time sessions with a dancer in costume. Activities are free with Conservatory admission and appropriate for comfortably-dressed children of all ages.
- Members-Only Shopping Hours and Discount
- Saturday, Dec. 6, 2014
8 – 10 a.m.
- Members: Have the Shop at Phipps all to yourselves as we open early just for you. Enjoy complimentary tea and coffee as you browse our exquisite collection of unique gifts. Plus, get an extra 10-percent off on top of your member discount!
- Family Fun Days
- Dec. 26 – 30, 2014
11 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Featuring a variety of engaging educational activities, all free with the price of admission, these special days at the Conservatory are filled with adventure and fun.
- New Year's Eve Family Celebration
- Dec. 31, 2014
6 – 9 p.m.
- At this family-friendly event, featuring a variety of activities for children, we will welcome 2015 with an early countdown at 8:45 p.m. so that everyone can join in the fun.
- Tropical Forest India
- Now Open
- Explore our new exhibit showcasing one of the most botanically rich regions of the world. Highlights include an Ayurvedic healing garden, spice and tea market displays, a stunning temple facade on Special Events Hall, and more!
- Romero the Corpse Flower
Turns Over a New Leaf
- Last year, he wowed thousands with his inimitable odor, and this year, he’s back with an amazing new look. After 10 dormant months, Romero has produced an enormous leaf to collect energy for his next big bloom. Visit the Tropical Forest Conservatory to see his transformation firsthand.