Spring Flower Show
March 22 – April 20, 2014
Drawing inspiration from Pittsburgh’s musical soul, Phipps comes alive with melody and rhythm
Take a toe-tapping journey through a musical world where melodies bloom like flowers. This year, Spring Flower Show combines music and garden design for a sensational new exhibit filled with sights, sounds and scents that are sure to have you singing.
From one room to the next, musical genres from swing and big band to blues and rock ´n roll will be showcased through whimsical sculptures made out of up-cycled instruments; surprising planters like an upright piano; and carefully orchestrated plantings designed to mimic the rise and fall of musical notes as they move up and down the scale. Popular songs will also be piped through some of the rooms, adding to the multi-sensory experience.
The stars of the show, of course, will be the thousands of vibrant tulips, daffodils, hyacinths and other seasonal favorites, in addition to some new highlights, including several varieties of primula, foxtail lilies and Himalayan blue poppies. Arranged in spectacular groupings according to color and theme, each plant will be carefully placed to add scope to and enliven each scene, from blue and purple flowers representing the blues genre, to rainbow-hued blooms coming together to form the bars of a larger-than-life xylophone.
Spring Flower Show, designed by Hays Landscape Architecture Studio, Ltd., runs through April 20. Exhibit hours are 9:30 a.m. – 5 p.m. daily and until 10 p.m. on Fridays. Admission is $15 for adults, $14 for seniors and students, and $11 for children (ages 2 – 18). Members and children under 2 enter for free.
Photos © Paul g. Wiegman
Other Featured Exhibits & Events
- Summer Flower Show
- May 10 – Oct. 5, 2014
- The whimsical miniature world of Garden Railroad takes center stage at Phipps this summer. With themed railroad displays in multiple exhibit rooms enhanced by unique plantings, interactive features and more, this show will bring the wonder of childhood to visitors of all ages.
- Romero the Corpse Flower
Turns Over a New Leaf
- Last year, he wowed thousands with his inimitable odor, and this year, he’s back with an amazing new look. After 10 dormant months, Romero has produced an enormous leaf to collect energy for his next big bloom. Visit the Tropical Forest Conservatory to see his transformation firsthand.
- Butterfly Forest
- April 26 – Sept. 1, 2014
- Watch as gorgeous butterflies emerge from their chrysalises to soar and glide among colorful, bug-friendly blooms. One may even land on you!
- Farmers at Phipps
- Wednesdays, June – October 2014
2:30 – 6:30 p.m.
- Refresh your food shopping experience! Visit our sustainably managed front lawn to browse organic and Certified Naturally Grown fruits, vegetables and more from local farms.
- Party in the Tropics
- Select Fridays
Next Party Aug. 1, 2014
7 – 11 p.m.
- Gather your friends and get ready to dine, drink and dance the night away at Phipps! Make our paradise your own as you indulge in sweet and savory morsels, taste unique cocktails, and dance to the beats of a live DJ in our Tropical Forest Conservatory. Entry is free with Conservatory admission.
- Jack Buncher Foundation
Free Admission Day
- Aug. 4, 2014
9:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Phipps is thrilled to announce that all Conservatory guests will be admitted free of charge on Monday, Aug. 4, 2014 thanks to a generous grant from the Jack Buncher Foundation. Join us on this special day to enjoy our Summer Flower Show, Butterfly Forest and Tropical Forest Conservatory.
- Biophilia: Pittsburgh
- Next Meeting Aug. 7, 2014
6 p.m., with networking and refreshments at 5:30 p.m.
- Biophilia: Pittsburgh is the pilot chapter for a Biophilia Network of creative minds meeting monthly to discuss strengthening the bond between people and the natural world through education, discussion and action. Meetings are free to attend; advance RSVP is required. Join the conversation!
- Members-Only Bring a Friend Day
- Aug. 11, 2014
9:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- On this special day, bring a nonmember guest to experience the serenity and beauty of Phipps free of charge. Just show your membership card at the admissions desk to give someone special a treat to remember!
- Red, Ripe and Roasted: Tomato and Garlic Festival
- Aug. 24, 2014
11 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Celebrate two of western Pennsylvania’s tastiest summer crops at our 10th annual tomato and garlic festival. Our historic front lawn will come alive with delicious food and family fun, including cooking demos, a farmer’s market, kids’ activities, special guests and more. Bring a donation for the Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank and receive free admission!
- Fall Round Up
- Sept. 5, 6 and 7, 2014
Friday, 1 – 7 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m. – 7 p.m.; Sunday, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Phipps Garden Center
- Headed to A Fair in the Park? Stop by our Shop in the Park at Phipps Garden Center, where we’ll be hosting a special sale on the patio along with a variety of other local vendors. You’re sure to find unique gifts for the greenest thumb in your life — and something special for yourself!
- Garden to Plate Dinner
- Sunday, Sept. 7, 2014
6:30 – 9 p.m.
- Join us for an unforgettable Sunday dinner, a bountiful garden-to-plate feast of fresh, locally grown fare, select wines and special entertainment.
- Garden Railroad
- Now Open
- A unique twist on the traditional Garden Railroad, this year's display takes you to Phipps Prehistoric Park — a whimsical world where dinosaurs are brought back to life! Full of surprises, detailed models, moving parts and trains, this can't-miss exhibit is a thrilling adventure for all ages.
- Tropical Forest India
- Now Open
- Explore our new exhibit showcasing one of the most botanically rich regions of the world. Highlights include an Ayurvedic healing garden, spice and tea market displays, a stunning temple facade on Special Events Hall, and more!