Life in the Gardens: Fräbel Glass at Phipps
Open now through January 24
Hurry in! Now through January 24, Life in the Gardens: Fräbel Glass at Phipps will be on display at the Conservatory. Come experience the extraordinary work of Hans Godo Fräbel, an internationally famous artist known for his otherworldly glass creations.
As beautiful as it is unusual, the artist’s installation at Phipps brings a new and reflective view of garden-glass artistry to one of the oldest Victorian glasshouses in the country. Designed to whisk guests away to a dazzling, fresh world, the exhibition is filled with whimsical figures, mysterious masks, playful sculptures, and a botanical interplay never-before-seen in the region.
Visit Hans Godo Fräbel's website »
Click here for more information »
Exhibit design is a collaboration between Hans Godo Fräbel and the staff from Fräbel, Scott C. Scarfone from Oasis Design Group and the Phipps staff.
Scott C. Scarfone, ASLA, Principal
Oasis Design Group
Other Featured Exhibits & Events
- Summer Flower Show:
Glass in the Gardens
- April 27 – Oct. 6, 2013
- The dazzling glass creations of artists working in Pittsburgh and Pennsylvania will make our gardens shimmer and shine all summer long. Highlights include lifelike floral forms, whimsical long-legged birds, rotating stained-glass towers, and a large, articulated woolly mammoth skeleton.
- Butterfly Forest
- April 20 – Sept. 2, 2013
- Like flowers that fly, our butterfly residents will enchant nature-lovers of every age. Watch as gorgeous species such as Monarchs and Zebra Longwings emerge from their chrysalises to flutter among cheerful, bug-friendly blooms.
- Party in the Tropics
- Select Fridays in 2013, starting Feb. 8
7 – 11 p.m.
- Gather your friends and get ready to dine, drink and dance the night away at Phipps! Make our paradise your own as you indulge in sweet and savory morsels, taste unique cocktails, and dance to the beats of a live DJ in our Tropical Forest Conservatory. Entry is free with Conservatory admission.
- Butterfly Weekend
- June 1 and 2, 2013
Saturday, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.; Sunday, 11 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- In celebration of one of nature’s most important pollinators, Phipps and Carnegie Science Center are hosting Butterfly Weekend on June 1 and June 2. This two-day celebration will give visitors a chance to learn about the life cycle of butterflies and discover why these amazing insects have a remarkable ability to navigate, orient and migrate.
- Farmers at Phipps
- Wednesdays, June – October 2013
2:30 – 6:30 p.m.
- Refresh your food shopping experience! Visit our sustainably managed front lawn to browse organic and Certified Naturally Grown fruits, vegetables and more from local farms.
- Inspire Speakers Series
- Second Thurs. of every month, Oct. 2012-June 2013
5:30-8:30 p.m., except where noted
- Green Building Alliance (GBA) and Phipps are collaborating to host a monthly speaker series at the new Center for Sustainable Landscapes (CSL) on our Oakland campus. Join us to enjoy captivating presentations from local and national experts on the subject of healthy, high-performance green buildings. Registration with GBA is required.
- Floral Notes: Jazz in the Garden
- Tuesday, June 18, 2013
6:30 – 9 p.m.
- As the summer heats up, enjoy an evening of cool jazz surrounded by colorful flowers and lush plants. Relax in our Outdoor Garden with the live music of Pittsburgh’s own Elevations and Velvet Heat as you savor small bites and delicious drinks.
- Garden Variety:
A Farm-to-Phipps Dinner
- Sunday, July 21, 2013
6:30 – 9 p.m.
- Enjoy a rustic yet elegant farm-to-table dinner experience with fresh, handpicked selections from our region’s farms. If you love a food adventure, you won’t want to miss this chance to join local growers and artisans for this one-of-a-kind meal.
- Tropical Forest India
- Now Open
- Explore our new exhibit showcasing one of the most botanically rich regions of the world. Highlights include an Ayurvedic healing garden, spice and tea market displays, a stunning temple facade on Special Events Hall, and more!