Orchid Society of Western Pennsylvania
Super Slipper Celebration
Oct. 5, 2013
10 a.m. – 9:30 p.m.
Celebrate the slipper orchid in the company of fellow enthusiasts and orchid experts.
Orchid lovers unite! On Oct. 5 at Phipps, the Orchid Society of Western Pennsylvania presents an all-day event highlighting the history and mystique of the beloved slipper orchid. Enjoy presentations from guest speakers, plant sales, delicious food and drink, tours of Phipps, and a special ceremony for the naming of the Barbara Tisherman Slipper Orchid Collection.
10 a.m. – 4:40 p.m.
Attendees will enjoy four orginal talks offering contemporary and historical slipper overviews. Session includes lunch, slipper plant sales, and the opportunity to tour the Conservatory.
• New Directions for Novelty Slippers with Hadley Cash of Marriott Orchids
• Acknowledging the Finest: 120 Years of Important Paphs Preserved at Phipps with Tim Culbertson
• Trends in Phragmipediium Hybridizing with Glen Decker of Piping Rock Orchids
• The New, the Rare, and the Unusual with Dr. Holger Perner
4:30 – 9:30 p.m.
Enjoy a behind-the-scenes guided tour of the orchid range of Phipps' Production Greenhouse, then feast on delicious hors d'oeuvres and attend the naming of the Barbara Tisherman Slipper Orchid Collection, plus the premiere performance of the Phragmipaphium Phollies, an original entertainment celebrating slipper orchids with song and dance.
Speakers Day tickets are $50 per person and Gala tickets are $85 per person. A ticket for admission to both events is available at a discounted price of $125. To register for this very special occasion online or with a check by mail, visit the Orchid Society of Western Pennsylvania.
Photo © Paul g. Wiegman
Other Featured Exhibits & Events
- Three More Nights of Winter Lights
- Jan. 30, 2015; 5 – 11 p.m.
Feb. 6 and 13, 2015; 5 – 10 p.m.
- Orchid and Tropical Bonsai Show
- Jan. 17 – March 1, 2015
- Tropical Sundays
- Sundays, Feb 1, 8, 15 and 22, 2015
- Biophilia: Pittsburgh
- Next Meeting Feb. 5, 2015
6 p.m., with networking and refreshments at 5:30 p.m.
- Tropical Forest Congo
- Opens Feb. 7, 2015
- Tropical Forest Congo Opening Festival
- Feb. 7, 2015
11 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Party in the Tropics
- Select Fridays
Next Party Feb. 13, 2015
7 – 11 p.m.
- Hothouse Happy Hours
- Thursday, Feb. 19, 2015
6 – 8 p.m.
- Seed, Perennial and Seedling Swap: 2015 Garden Season Opener
- Feb. 28, 2015
11 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh - Main
- Garden Railroad
- Closes March 1, 2015