Summer Flower Show
May 10 – Oct. 5, 2014
Hop aboard for a grand journey through whimsical, miniature worlds.
This year, Summer Flower Show will take you on a grand journey as small-scale trains wind through summer blooms throughout the glasshouse and the whimsical miniature world of Garden Railroad takes center stage. Featuring a variety of imaginative railroad displays enhanced by flowers, plants and interactive features, this exhibit will bring the wonder of childhood to guests of all ages.
Always a seasonal highlight at Phipps, Garden Railroad — a delightful annual display in which model trains chug through living landscapes sprinkled with lush groundcover, sedums and other low-growing plants, passing through cities, towns and farmlands dotted with beautifully hand-crafted models and figurines — will soon be one of several locomotive showcases to grace the Conservatory. New thrills, in fact, will be found around nearly every corner as multiple rooms are transformed into hubs of energy and activity as trains travel in, around and over gorgeous displays of flowers, topiaries and tropical plants. There will also be plenty of surprises to be found as various interactive features add to the fun.
Summer Flower Show, designed by Phipps staff Jordyn Melino, Laura Schoch and Curt Pesanka, runs through Oct. 5. Hours are 9:30 a.m. – 5 p.m. daily and until 10 p.m. on Fridays. Admission is $15 for adults, $14 for seniors and students, and $11 for children (2 – 18). Members and kids under 2 enter free.
Photos © Pawsburgh Photography, Paul g. Wiegman
Other Featured Exhibits & Events
- Romero the Corpse Flower
Turns Over a New Leaf
- Last year, he wowed thousands with his inimitable odor, and this year, he’s back with an amazing new look. After 10 dormant months, Romero has produced an enormous leaf to collect energy for his next big bloom. Visit the Tropical Forest Conservatory to see his transformation firsthand.
- Butterfly Forest
- April 26 – Sept. 1, 2014
- Watch as gorgeous butterflies emerge from their chrysalises to soar and glide among colorful, bug-friendly blooms. One may even land on you!
- Farmers at Phipps
- Wednesdays, June – October 2014
2:30 – 6:30 p.m.
- Refresh your food shopping experience! Visit our sustainably managed front lawn to browse organic and Certified Naturally Grown fruits, vegetables and more from local farms.
BETA Art Tours
- First and third Saturdays, July – October 2014
11 a.m. – noon
- Discover the BETA Project, a new collection of art at the Center for Sustainable Landscapes designed to enhance and restore the bonds between people and the natural world. Tours are free for members; however, space is limited and reservations are required by the Thursday prior to each tour date. To reserve, please contact us at 412/622-6915, ext. 6505 or email@example.com.
- Biophilia: Pittsburgh
- Next Meeting Sept. 4, 2014
6 p.m., with networking and refreshments at 5:30 p.m.
- Biophilia: Pittsburgh is the pilot chapter for a Biophilia Network of creative minds meeting monthly to discuss strengthening the bond between people and the natural world through education, discussion and action. Meetings are free to attend; advance RSVP is required. Join the conversation!
- Party in the Tropics
- Select Fridays
Next Party Sept. 5, 2014
7 – 11 p.m.
- Gather your friends and get ready to dine, drink and dance the night away at Phipps! Make our paradise your own as you indulge in sweet and savory morsels, taste unique cocktails, and dance to the beats of a live DJ in our Tropical Forest Conservatory. Entry is free with Conservatory admission.
- Fall Round Up
- Sept. 5, 6 and 7, 2014
Friday, 1 – 7 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m. – 7 p.m.; Sunday, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Phipps Garden Center
- Headed to A Fair in the Park? Stop by our Shop in the Park at Phipps Garden Center, where we’ll be hosting a special sale on the patio along with a variety of other local vendors. You’re sure to find unique gifts for the greenest thumb in your life — and something special for yourself!
- Garden to Plate Dinner
- Sunday, Sept. 7, 2014
6:30 – 9 p.m.
- Join us for an unforgettable Sunday dinner, a bountiful garden-to-plate feast of fresh, locally grown fare, select wines and special entertainment.
- Tropical Forest India Festival
- Sept. 21, 2014
11 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Join us in the Tropical Forest Conservatory for our final Tropical Forest India festival as we celebrate plants, food and culture through fun activities, live music, food tastings and more. The festival is free with Phipps admission.
- Members-Only: Peek Behind the Petals
- Sept. 27, 2014
9:30 – 10:15 a.m.
- Take a fascinating look at the global adventures of our Botany in Action Fellows at this edition of our members-only Peek Behind the Petals series. This event is free for members; however, space is limited and reservations are required by Sept. 20. To reserve, please contact us at 412/622-6915, ext. 6505 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Garden Railroad
- Now Open
- A unique twist on the traditional Garden Railroad, this year's display takes you to Phipps Prehistoric Park — a whimsical world where dinosaurs are brought back to life! Full of surprises, detailed models, moving parts and trains, this can't-miss exhibit is a thrilling adventure for all ages.
- Tropical Forest India
- Now Open
- Explore our new exhibit showcasing one of the most botanically rich regions of the world. Highlights include an Ayurvedic healing garden, spice and tea market displays, a stunning temple facade on Special Events Hall, and more!