Summer Flower Show
May 10 – Oct. 5, 2014
Hop aboard for a grand journey through whimsical, miniature worlds.
This year, Summer Flower Show will take you on a grand journey as small-scale trains wind through summer blooms throughout the glasshouse and the whimsical miniature world of Garden Railroad takes center stage. Featuring a variety of imaginative railroad displays enhanced by flowers, plants and interactive features, this exhibit will bring the wonder of childhood to guests of all ages.
Always a seasonal highlight at Phipps, Garden Railroad — a delightful annual display in which model trains chug through living landscapes sprinkled with lush groundcover, sedums and other low-growing plants, passing through cities, towns and farmlands dotted with beautifully hand-crafted models and figurines — will soon be one of several locomotive showcases to grace the Conservatory. New thrills, in fact, will be found around nearly every corner as multiple rooms are transformed into hubs of energy and activity as trains travel in, around and over gorgeous displays of flowers, topiaries and tropical plants. There will also be plenty of surprises to be found as various interactive features add to the fun.
Summer Flower Show, designed by Phipps staff Jordyn Melino, Laura Schoch and Curt Pesanka, runs through Oct. 5. Hours are 9:30 a.m. – 5 p.m. daily and until 10 p.m. on Fridays. Admission is $15 for adults, $14 for seniors and students, and $11 for children (2 – 18). Members and kids under 2 enter free.
Photos © Pawsburgh Photography, Paul g. Wiegman
Other Featured Exhibits & Events
- Butterfly Forest
- April 26 – Sept. 1, 2014
- Watch as gorgeous butterflies emerge from their chrysalises to soar and glide among colorful, bug-friendly blooms. One may even land on you!
- Farmers at Phipps
- Wednesdays, June – October 2014
2:30 – 6:30 p.m.
- Refresh your food shopping experience! Visit our sustainably managed front lawn to browse organic and Certified Naturally Grown fruits, vegetables and more from local farms.
BETA Art Tours
- First and third Saturdays, July – August 2014
11 a.m. – noon
- Discover the BETA Project, a new collection of art at the Center for Sustainable Landscapes designed to enhance and restore the bonds between people and the natural world. Tours are free for members; however, space is limited and reservations are required by the Thursday prior to each tour date. To reserve, please contact us at 412/622-6915, ext. 6505 or email@example.com.
- Members-Only: Sound Walk
with Abby Aresty
- July 26, 2014
9:30 – 10:45 a.m.
- This event is now booked to capacity; members may reserve to be placed on a waitlist. Members are invited to join artist Abby Aresty for a special “sound walk” through nearby Schenley Park and learn about Of Earth and Sun, her audio installation at the Center for Sustainable Landscapes. This event is free for members; however, space is limited and reservations are required.
- Party in the Tropics
- Select Fridays
Next Party Aug. 1, 2014
7 – 11 p.m.
- Gather your friends and get ready to dine, drink and dance the night away at Phipps! Make our paradise your own as you indulge in sweet and savory morsels, taste unique cocktails, and dance to the beats of a live DJ in our Tropical Forest Conservatory. Entry is free with Conservatory admission.
- Jack Buncher Foundation
Free Admission Day
- Aug. 4, 2014
9:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Phipps is thrilled to announce that all Conservatory guests will be admitted free of charge on Monday, Aug. 4, 2014 thanks to a generous grant from the Jack Buncher Foundation. Join us on this special day to enjoy our Summer Flower Show, Butterfly Forest and Tropical Forest Conservatory.
- Biophilia: Pittsburgh
- Next Meeting Aug. 7, 2014
6 p.m., with networking and refreshments at 5:30 p.m.
- Biophilia: Pittsburgh is the pilot chapter for a Biophilia Network of creative minds meeting monthly to discuss strengthening the bond between people and the natural world through education, discussion and action. Meetings are free to attend; advance RSVP is required. Join the conversation!
- Members-Only Bring a Friend Day
- Aug. 11, 2014
9:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- On this special day, bring a nonmember guest to experience the serenity and beauty of Phipps free of charge. Just show your membership card at the admissions desk to give someone special a treat to remember!
- Red, Ripe and Roasted: Tomato and Garlic Festival
- Aug. 24, 2014
11 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Celebrate two of western Pennsylvania’s tastiest summer crops at our 10th annual tomato and garlic festival. Our historic front lawn will come alive with delicious food and family fun, including cooking demos, a farmer’s market, kids’ activities, special guests and more. Bring a donation for the Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank and receive free admission!
- Garden to Plate Dinner
- Sunday, Sept. 7, 2014
6:30 – 9 p.m.
- Join us for an unforgettable Sunday dinner, a bountiful garden-to-plate feast of fresh, locally grown fare, select wines and special entertainment.
- Garden Railroad
- Now Open
- A unique twist on the traditional Garden Railroad, this year's display takes you to Phipps Prehistoric Park — a whimsical world where dinosaurs are brought back to life! Full of surprises, detailed models, moving parts and trains, this can't-miss exhibit is a thrilling adventure for all ages.
- Tropical Forest India
- Now Open
- Explore our new exhibit showcasing one of the most botanically rich regions of the world. Highlights include an Ayurvedic healing garden, spice and tea market displays, a stunning temple facade on Special Events Hall, and more!