Summer Flower Show
May 10 – Oct. 5, 2014
Hop aboard for a grand journey through whimsical, miniature worlds.
This year, Summer Flower Show will take you on a grand journey as small-scale trains wind through summer blooms throughout the glasshouse and the whimsical miniature world of Garden Railroad takes center stage. Featuring a variety of imaginative railroad displays enhanced by flowers, plants and interactive features, this exhibit will bring the wonder of childhood to guests of all ages.
Always a seasonal highlight at Phipps, Garden Railroad — a delightful annual display in which model trains chug through living landscapes sprinkled with lush groundcover, sedums and other low-growing plants, passing through cities, towns and farmlands dotted with beautifully hand-crafted models and figurines — will soon be one of several locomotive showcases to grace the Conservatory. New thrills, in fact, will be found around nearly every corner as multiple rooms are transformed into hubs of energy and activity as trains travel in, around and over gorgeous displays of flowers, topiaries and tropical plants. There will also be plenty of surprises to be found as various interactive features add to the fun.
Summer Flower Show, designed by Phipps staff Jordyn Melino, Laura Schoch and Curt Pesanka, runs through Oct. 5. Hours are 9:30 a.m. – 5 p.m. daily and until 10 p.m. on Fridays. Admission is $15 for adults, $14 for seniors and students, and $11 for children (2 – 18). Members and kids under 2 enter free.
Photos © Pawsburgh Photography, Paul g. Wiegman
Other Featured Exhibits & Events
- Romero the Corpse Flower
Turns Over a New Leaf
- Last year, he wowed thousands with his inimitable odor, and this year, he’s back with an amazing new look. After 10 dormant months, Romero has produced an enormous leaf to collect energy for his next big bloom. Visit the Tropical Forest Conservatory to see his transformation firsthand.
- Farmers at Phipps
- Wednesdays, June – October 2014
2:30 – 6:30 p.m.
- Refresh your food shopping experience! Visit our sustainably managed front lawn to browse organic and Certified Naturally Grown fruits, vegetables and more from local farms.
- Biophilia: Pittsburgh
- Next Meeting Oct. 2, 2014
6 p.m., with networking and refreshments at 5:30 p.m.
- Biophilia: Pittsburgh is the pilot chapter for a Biophilia Network of creative minds meeting monthly to discuss strengthening the bond between people and the natural world through education, discussion and action. Meetings are free to attend; advance RSVP is required. Join the conversation!
- Party in the Tropics
- Select Fridays
Next Party Oct. 3, 2014
7 – 11 p.m.
- Gather your friends and get ready to dine, drink and dance the night away at Phipps! Make our paradise your own as you indulge in sweet and savory morsels, taste unique cocktails, and dance to the beats of a live DJ in our Tropical Forest Conservatory. Entry is free with Conservatory admission.
BETA Art Tours
- First and third Saturdays, July – October 2014
Next Tour Oct. 4
11 a.m. – noon
- Discover the BETA Project, a new collection of art at the Center for Sustainable Landscapes designed to enhance and restore the bonds between people and the natural world. Tours are free for members; however, space is limited and reservations are required by the Thursday prior to each tour date. To reserve, please contact us at 412/622-6915, ext. 6505 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fall Flower Show
- Oct. 18 – Nov. 9, 2014
- In celebration of the harvest season and its changing hues, this colorful exhibit showcases beautiful chrysanthemums, vibrant foliage and other festive flowers as tiny trains wind their way through many of the Conservatory’s display rooms.
- Halloween Happenings
- Oct. 24, 2014
4 – 8 p.m.
- When you feel a chill in the air and start to see pumpkins everywhere, you know it's almost Halloween! Bring costumed kids for a spooktacular time in the gardens as we offer a host of healthy snacks and family fun, including games and a pot-a-plant activity. All activities are free with Conservatory admission.
- Native Plant and Sustainability Conference
- Nov. 1, 2014
8:30 a.m. – 2:45 p.m.
William Pitt Union, University of Pittsburgh
- Phipps’ annual Native Plant and Sustainability Conference brings together national experts for a one-day forum on plants, landscapes and our roles as environmental stewards. This year’s program pairs an entomologist with a landscape designer to help illuminate how a well-designed landscape can be a place of beauty while fulfilling several important ecological functions.
- Garden Railroad
- Now Open
- A unique twist on the traditional Garden Railroad, this year's display takes you to Phipps Prehistoric Park — a whimsical world where dinosaurs are brought back to life! Full of surprises, detailed models, moving parts and trains, this can't-miss exhibit is a thrilling adventure for all ages.
- Tropical Forest India
- Now Open
- Explore our new exhibit showcasing one of the most botanically rich regions of the world. Highlights include an Ayurvedic healing garden, spice and tea market displays, a stunning temple facade on Special Events Hall, and more!