High School Internship for Under-Resourced Youth
Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens offers a 6-week paid internship for highly motivated Pittsburgh-area high school students who are interested in plants, science and the environment, and also qualify for the free or reduced- cost lunch program. This "Learning for a Greener Future" internship provides an invaluable opportunity for participants to gain knowledge of plant science, environmental issues and sustainability, vegetable gardening, environmental education and communication, and green careers.
"Learning for a Greener Future" - June 24 to Aug. 1, 2013
The internship program offers a variety of work experiences, classes, community service projects and field trips in the diverse fields of environmental and plant sciences. Throughout the program, interns work with Phipps' skilled science education, horticulture and other staff, college interns and volunteers, as well as experts from Pittsburgh's environmental community.
Interns have the opportunity to:
- Investigate green careers in environmental science, horticulture, education, communication and related fields
- Learn the science and art of plant care through working in the Conservatory's historic glasshouse and outdoor gardens
- Share environmental knowledge with the general public by participating in Phipps' science education and outreach programs
- Grow and learn to prepare seasonal vegetables in our Edible Garden
- Learn nature photography and environmental photojournalism skills
- Become informed about and involved in local and global environmental issues and sustainable solutions through activities at Phipps and with local environmental groups
- Build resumes for future education and career opportunities
How to Apply
All applicants must be at least 16 years of age and be eligible to receive free or reduced-cost lunch at their school.
Applications will be accepted February 1 through April 1, 2013. All interested students should submit the following to be considered for employment:
- Phipps Standard Employment Application
- Phipps High School Internship Supplemental Application
- Brief essay (150 word minimum) detailing why you are interested in becoming an intern at Phipps
- Letter of reference from an adult non-relative who can speak about your motivation to work and learn
Kate Borger, High School Program Coordinator
Science Education and Research Department
Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens
One Schenley Park
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
For more information call 412/622-6915 ext. 3905 or email today!
Download and print a flier to help spread the word.
This program is made possible with support from the Grable Foundation and Pennsylvania's Education Improvement Tax Credit Program.