Employment at Phipps
Phipps is looking for dedicated people with a passion for the green world. New opportunities are posted frequently so please check back often. Qualified candidates should send their resume and cover letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens, Human Resources Department, 1059 Shady Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15232. Phipps is an equal opportunity employer.
Or, request an application by filling out our contact form.
Full-time employees enjoy discounts in The Shop in the Park, The Shop at Phipps and Café Phipps, as well as free tuition for Phipps education classes. After a 60-day waiting period, full-time employees are eligible for health care, vision, and dental insurance, paid vacation, sick leave, personal leave, paid holidays, short- and long-term disability, and life insurance. After one year and 1,000 hours, full-time employees qualify for the retirement program.
Building Maintenance Technician, CSL
Sustainable architecture and landscape design are taking giant steps forward at Phipps Conservatory with the new Center for Sustainable Landscapes (CSL), an innovative model of sustainability. Phipps plans for the CSL to exceed LEED® Platinum certification (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design), currently the industry's most recognized certification for green buildings.
Phipps is seeking an experienced Building Maintenance Technician for this next level of sustainable building management. Essential duties and responsibilities will include:
• Maintenance, repair and commissioning of all renewable energy sources including solar panel arrays and wind turbine.
• Operating, installing and maintaining equipment including boilers, pumps, valves, piping, generators, air conditioning, compressors, fans and related machinery.
• Installing and maintaining electrical equipment including switches, controls, motors, lighting, wiring, etc.
• Managing and completing work tickets.
• Assisting with setup and tear down of seasonal exhibits and displays.
Degree in appropriate field and 3-5 years' relevant work experience are required, as well as a valid Pennsylvania driver’s license. Must be available to work all different shifts, including holidays and weekends. Skill required in operating personal computer utilizing a variety of computer software. Please include a cover letter, resume and salary history when responding.
Phipps is seeking a full-time Display Horticulturist to be responsible for the design, installation, care and presentation of horticultural displays. Essential duties and responsibilities will include:
• Horticultural duties within multiple Conservatory display rooms, including watering, deadheading, planting, mulching, pruning, fertilizing and integrated pest management.
• Acting as the team leader for installation of seasonal flower shows and exhibits that occur in designated Conservatory rooms.
• Evaluation of crops to determine future feasibility for displays.
• Monitoring, diagnosing and treating insect, disease, physiological and cultural conditions.
• Working with other departments to provide plant material needed for classes, camps and Conservatory activities.
• Responding to inquiries from the public regarding plants and care, as well as writing articles, giving tours and teaching classes.
A bachelor's degree in horticulture or plant-related field is required, along with knowledge and practice of highest industry standards for planting, pruning and maintenance. A Pennsylvania pesticide applicator license must be acquired within six months of hire. Please include a cover letter, resume and salary history when responding.
Finance and Membership Administrative Assistant
Phipps is seeking a full-time Administrative Assistant to provide administrative support to the Finance and Membership departments. Finance duties will include data entry of financial information, as well as assistance with month-end closings, journal entries, inventories, revenue deposits, purchase orders and credit card allocations. Membership duties will include processing membership cards, maintaining the membership database and assisting with mailings and member events. The candidate must be able to work independently and be detail-oriented with excellent verbal and written skills. Business school or high school diploma and experience with Excel/spreadsheets required; experience with Blackbaud preferred. Please include a cover letter, resume and salary history when responding.
Phipps is seeking a full-time Greenhouse Technician to provide care and propagation of plants from seeds and cuttings, as well as stock plants. Essential duties and responsibilities will include:
• Producing and growing plants for permanent collections, outdoor plantings and exhibits, including all flower shows, with a focus on Phipps’ specialty crops (e.g., Fall Show chrysanthemums).
• Propagating plants (seeds, cuttings, divisions) and caring for stock plants and production crops, including watering, fertilizing, pinching, pruning, repotting, pest scouting and pesticide application.
• Working with Greenhouse Foreman to determine and meet propagation and production schedules.
• Maintaining conditions of production houses, including controlling weeds, ventilation, temperature and sweeping floors.
• Assisting with installation, maintenance and tear down of flower shows, special exhibits, display rooms, outdoor gardens and special projects as required.
• Responding to inquiries from the public regarding plants and care.
A bachelor's degree in horticulture or plant-related field is required. Must be able to work independently and must acquire a Pennsylvania pesticide applicator license within six months of hire. Please include a cover letter, resume and salary history when responding.
Outdoor Display Foreman
Phipps is seeking a full-time Outdoor Display Foreman to manage the daily details of specific outdoor gardens, assuring exceptional horticulture and immaculate maintenance at all times. Essential duties and responsibilities will include:
• Planting, pruning, fertilizing, deadheading, cleanup, plant maintenance and soil management while incorporating best sustainable practices into daily routines. Effectively supervising staff, interns and volunteers in the overall maintenance of specific outdoor gardens.
• Meeting deadlines of opening/closing dates for gardens, presenting the best image of gardens at all times; being aware of all events and needs for the gardens and impacts on the gardens.
• Working with the Exhibit Coordinator and Director of Horticulture and Education to develop designs and plans for each upcoming season.
• Putting a friendly Phipps face on horticulture by leading tours, giving talks, writing articles and responding to general garden inquiries from the public and the press.
• Diagnosing problems that are physiologically based and/or stress related; anticipating what will occur under specific conditions (i.e., soil conditions, climate); identifying stresses and proactively implementing solutions.
• Assisting in installation of shows as needed.
A bachelor's degree in horticulture or related field is required, as well as a minimum of five years’ work experience in a botanical garden. Must be able to acquire a Pennsylvania pesticide applicator license within six months of hire. Please include a cover letter, resume and salary history when responding.
Retail/Guest Service Management
Phipps is seeking an experienced full-time Retail/Guest Service Manager to join our team. Under the direction of a general manager, essential duties and responsibilities will include:
• Leading a team of associates to provide exceptional customer service for our visitors.
• Ensuring efficient day-to-day operations of the retail/guest service department.
• Greeting the public and assisting guests at the Conservatory.
• Coordinating and scheduling staff.
• Assisting in the purchase and display of quality products that reflect excellence in horticulture and sustainability.
The qualified candidate must have a minimum of 2-3 years’ relevant and increasingly responsible retail/guest service management experience. Additional qualifications include strong communications and training skills, a professional, positive and enthusiastic attitude, and the ability to handle numerous assignments simultaneously. Availability for all shifts, including weekend and evening hours, is required; museum/nonprofit experience is a plus. Please include a cover letter, resume and salary history when responding.
Part-time employees receive free parking and discounts in The Shop in the Park, The Shop at Phipps and Café Phipps. By maintaining an average of 15 hours per week, part-time employees can enroll in Phipps education classes tuition-free. After one year and 1,000 hours, part-time employees are eligible for the retirement program.
Phipps is seeking a part-time Education Specialist to implement and staff interactive educational programs and demonstrations to be offered to visitors in the Tropical Forest and at Discovery carts throughout the Conservatory. The Education Specialist will assist in developing activities, games and crafts and help with planning family-friendly events. The qualified candidate should be enthusiastic, outgoing and enjoy working with children. Strong Microsoft Office and Internet skills are required. A bachelor’s degree in botany, plant biology or science education is preferred, along with a sincere interest and knowledge in horticulture, sustainability and green living. This position involves both weekdays and weekends, 12-18 hours per week. Please include a cover letter and resume when responding.
Science Education & Research Administrative Assistant
Phipps is seeking a part-time Administrative Assistant to provide administrative support to the Science Education and Research Department. Essential duties and responsibilities will include:
• Answering and directing phone calls, mail and email
• Scheduling school, scout and other group field trip classes and tours, and scheduling rooms and tour docents; preparing confirmation letters and informational packets; maintaining program registration and financial records and databases
• Taking photographs of programs; overseeing participant health and photo release forms; organizing lunch deliveries for field trip lunch programs
• Creating and managing purchase orders, work orders and financial reports; filing invoices; coding credit card charges; coordinating supply orders
• Recording and preparing minutes of department staff meetings and participating in department activities
• Performing Internet searches for academic journal articles; updating departmental web pages
Strong Microsoft Office and Internet skills are required. Two-year business school degree with office experience is preferred, along with a sincere interest in sustainability and science education. This position is Monday through Friday, 32 hours per week. Please include a cover letter and resume when responding.