Employment at Phipps
Phipps is looking for dedicated people with a passion for the green world. New opportunities are posted frequently so please check back often. Qualified candidates should send their resume and cover letter via email to email@example.com or mail to Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens, Human Resources Department, 1059 Shady Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15232. Phipps is an equal opportunity employer.
Or, request an application by filling out our contact form.
Full-time employees enjoy discounts in The Shop in the Park, The Shop at Phipps and Café Phipps, as well as free tuition for Phipps education classes. After a 60-day waiting period, full-time employees are eligible for health care, vision, and dental insurance, paid vacation, sick leave, personal leave, paid holidays, short- and long-term disability, and life insurance. After one year and 1,000 hours, full-time employees qualify for the retirement program.
Building Maintenance Technician, CSL
Sustainable architecture and landscape design are taking giant steps forward at Phipps Conservatory with the new Center for Sustainable Landscapes (CSL), an innovative model of sustainability. Phipps plans for the CSL to exceed LEED® Platinum certification (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design), currently the industry's most recognized certification for green buildings.
Phipps is seeking an experienced Building Maintenance Technician for this next level of sustainable building management. Essential duties and responsibilities will include:
• Maintenance, repair and commissioning of all renewable energy sources including solar panel arrays and wind turbine.
• Operating, installing and maintaining equipment including boilers, pumps, valves, piping, generators, air conditioning, compressors, fans and related machinery.
• Installing and maintaining electrical equipment including switches, controls, motors, lighting, wiring, etc.
• Managing and completing work tickets.
• Assisting with setup and tear down of seasonal exhibits and displays.
Degree in appropriate field and 3-5 years' relevant work experience are required, as well as a valid Pennsylvania driver’s license. Must be available to work all different shifts, including holidays and weekends. Skill required in operating personal computer utilizing a variety of computer software. Please include a cover letter, resume and salary history when responding.
Phipps is seeking a full-time Display Horticulturist to be responsible for the design, installation, care and presentation of horticultural displays. Essential duties and responsibilities will include:
• Horticultural duties within multiple Conservatory display rooms, including watering, deadheading, planting, mulching, pruning, fertilizing and integrated pest management.
• Acting as the team leader for installation of seasonal flower shows and exhibits that occur in designated Conservatory rooms.
• Evaluation of crops to determine future feasibility for displays.
• Monitoring, diagnosing and treating insect, disease, physiological and cultural conditions.
• Working with other departments to provide plant material needed for classes, camps and Conservatory activities.
• Responding to inquiries from the public regarding plants and care, as well as writing articles, giving tours and teaching classes.
A bachelor's degree in horticulture or plant-related field is required, along with knowledge and practice of highest industry standards for planting, pruning and maintenance. A Pennsylvania pesticide applicator license must be acquired within six months of hire. Please include a cover letter, resume and salary history when responding.
Event Sales Supervisor
As one of the nation’s oldest and largest Victorian greenhouses, Phipps provides the perfect location for any special event. Phipps is seeking a full-time Event Sales Supervisor in the Event Sales department, focusing on scheduling and management of Conservatory rentals. Essential duties and responsibilities will include:
• Serving as primary staff person responsible for event sales of individual spaces within or the entire Conservatory.
• Responding to all requests for event sales information. Scheduling appointments and meeting with potential clients to view available options.
• Preparing and maintaining overall timelines for events. Coordinating with caterers, rental companies, musicians, etc., prior to events to determine logistics and floor plans.
• On day of event, providing onsite event organization and oversight of clients, staff and vendors.
• Participating in the development of short- and long-range planning for the department in accordance with the Conservatory’s goals and objectives.
• Creating databases and providing administrative support for department.
The qualified candidate must have exceptional guest service and organizational skills and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment. Weekend and evening availability is required. Bachelor’s degree in related field and previous experience in events preferred. Please include a cover letter, resume and salary history when responding.
Finance and Membership Administrative Assistant
Phipps is seeking a full-time Administrative Assistant to provide administrative support to the Finance and Membership departments. Finance duties will include data entry of financial information, as well as assistance with month-end closings, journal entries, inventories, revenue deposits, purchase orders and credit card allocations. Membership duties will include processing membership cards, maintaining the membership database and assisting with mailings and member events. The candidate must be able to work independently and be detail-oriented with excellent verbal and written skills. Business school or high school diploma and experience with Excel/spreadsheets required; experience with Blackbaud preferred. Please include a cover letter, resume and salary history when responding.
Phipps is seeking a full-time Greenhouse Technician to provide care and propagation of plants from seeds and cuttings, as well as stock plants. Essential duties and responsibilities will include:
• Producing and growing plants for permanent collections, outdoor plantings and exhibits, including all flower shows, with a focus on Phipps’ specialty crops (e.g., Fall Show chrysanthemums).
• Propagating plants (seeds, cuttings, divisions) and caring for stock plants and production crops, including watering, fertilizing, pinching, pruning, repotting, pest scouting and pesticide application.
• Working with Greenhouse Foreman to determine and meet propagation and production schedules.
• Maintaining conditions of production houses, including controlling weeds, ventilation, temperature and sweeping floors.
• Assisting with installation, maintenance and tear down of flower shows, special exhibits, display rooms, outdoor gardens and special projects as required.
• Responding to inquiries from the public regarding plants and care.
A bachelor's degree in horticulture or plant-related field is required. Must be able to work independently and must acquire a Pennsylvania pesticide applicator license within six months of hire. Please include a cover letter, resume and salary history when responding.
Guest Service Manager
Phipps is seeking a full-time Guest Service Manager to be responsible for the organization and day-to-day operations of the guest service department. Essential duties and responsibilities will include:
• Opening and closing admissions and occasionally the gift shop.
• Training employees on consistently providing exceptional guest service. Coordinating and scheduling staff positions for admissions, ticket taker and butterfly attendant.
• Greeting the public from inside the Conservatory, distributing information, answering questions and directing guests where necessary, always presenting the Conservatory in a positive, friendly and courteous tone to all guests.
• Supervising housekeeping staff duties throughout the Conservatory in all guest service areas, ensuring quality of work and adherence to departmental procedures and safety standards.
• Scheduling and coordinating group tours. Greeting and directing group tours upon arrival.
• Working with Director of Guest Service to find ways to improve customer service and the overall Phipps' experience.
The qualified candidate must have excellent guest service, organizational and computer skills and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment. Weekend and evening availability is required. Bachelor’s degree and two years’ increasingly responsible retail/customer service experience preferred; museum/nonprofit experience is a plus. Please include a cover letter, resume and salary history when responding.
Outdoor Display Foreman
Phipps is seeking a full-time Outdoor Display Foreman to manage the daily details of specific outdoor gardens, assuring exceptional horticulture and immaculate maintenance at all times. Essential duties and responsibilities will include:
• Planting, pruning, fertilizing, deadheading, cleanup, plant maintenance and soil management while incorporating best sustainable practices into daily routines. Effectively supervising staff, interns and volunteers in the overall maintenance of specific outdoor gardens.
• Meeting deadlines of opening/closing dates for gardens, presenting the best image of gardens at all times; being aware of all events and needs for the gardens and impacts on the gardens.
• Working with the Exhibit Coordinator and Director of Horticulture and Education to develop designs and plans for each upcoming season.
• Putting a friendly Phipps face on horticulture by leading tours, giving talks, writing articles and responding to general garden inquiries from the public and the press.
• Diagnosing problems that are physiologically based and/or stress related; anticipating what will occur under specific conditions (i.e., soil conditions, climate); identifying stresses and proactively implementing solutions.
• Assisting in installation of shows as needed.
A bachelor's degree in horticulture or related field is required, as well as a minimum of five years’ work experience in a botanical garden. Must be able to acquire a Pennsylvania pesticide applicator license within six months of hire. Please include a cover letter, resume and salary history when responding.
Painter and General Maintenance
Phipps is seeking a full-time Painter and General Maintenance worker to assist in constructing show props and other carpentry work and in applying paint mixtures to Phipps’ buildings and furnishings. Essential duties and responsibilities will include:
• Supporting the department with planning, constructing, preparing and finishing seasonal show props and carpentry work.
• Repairing, maintaining and/or replacing trim and finish carpentry.
• Preparing surfaces for paint applications; mixing and applying appropriate paint to prepared surfaces.
• Whitewashing and spraying the glass houses for shading, utilizing a high-pressure material sprayer.
• Removing and replacing broken glass.
• Other related tasks and duties as needed for proper Conservatory operation.
A minimum of a high school degree along with extensive knowledge of and competency with the methods, tools and procedures of the carpentry and painting trades are required. A valid Pennsylvania driver’s license is also required. Must be available all shifts, including evenings and weekends. The successful candidate will have an excellent attendance record and work ethic and the ability to work independently. Please include a cover letter, resume and salary history when responding.
Phipps is seeking a full-time Volunteer Coordinator to organize the use of volunteer service in all areas of the Conservatory. Essential duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Recruiting, interviewing, placing, evaluating and supervising all volunteers in available positions, whether ongoing or for special projects.
• Developing and recommending strategies to enhance equal opportunity employment and affirmative action with respect to volunteers.
• Planning and conducting regular orientation and continuing education for all volunteers; developing and coordinating retention and recognition programs.
• Developing volunteer schedules, monitoring volunteer and supervisor satisfaction with placements, and continually working with volunteers to assure ongoing quality customer service.
• Tracking statistics (hours logged, tours given, etc.) in order to create and provide program status reports.
• Coordinating the monthly volunteer newsletter and assisting with specific portions of writing/editing of educational bulletins and other printed materials. May take part in the rotation of professional writing assignments within the Conservatory.
The successful candidate must be a caring “people person” with the ability to work both independently and as part of a team, be detail-oriented and have excellent writing and communications skills. Computer skills will include Internet and Microsoft Office proficiency and a willingness to learn Volgistics volunteer management software. Bachelor’s degree and 3-5 years’ experience in coordinating volunteers required for this position. The candidate must have Certification in Volunteer Administration (CVA) or must obtain certification within 12 months of hire. Please include a cover letter, resume and salary history when responding.
Part-time employees receive free parking and discounts in The Shop in the Park, The Shop at Phipps and Café Phipps. By maintaining an average of 15 hours per week, part-time employees can enroll in Phipps education classes tuition-free. After one year and 1,000 hours, part-time employees are eligible for the retirement program.
Guest Service Associate
Phipps is seeking a part-time (15-20 hours per week) Guest Service Associate with a friendly smile and extraordinary customer service skills to assist with general admissions and gift shops. Combine your love of plants and people to welcome guests to Phipps! The applicant must have a flexible schedule, including Friday evening and weekend availability. Please include a cover letter and resume when responding.
Outdoor Garden Intern
Phipps is seeking a temporary Outdoor Garden Intern to work with the horticulture staff to plant and maintain the outdoor gardens at the Conservatory. Training will be provided in such skills as watering, planting, weeding, pruning, deadheading, mulching, propagation, IPM and plant identification, as well as other aspects of maintaining the gardens in exceptional condition. Must enjoy working outside, doing physical work, in the Pittsburgh climate. This paid, seven-week internship is open to anyone with previous gardening experience and a genuine interest in working at a botanical garden. Please include a cover letter and resume when responding.
Science Education & Research Administrative Assistant
Phipps is seeking a part-time Administrative Assistant to provide administrative support to the Science Education and Research Department. Essential duties and responsibilities will include:
• Answering and directing phone calls, mail and email
• Scheduling school, scout and other group field trip classes and tours, and scheduling rooms and tour docents; preparing confirmation letters and informational packets; maintaining program registration and financial records and databases
• Taking photographs of programs; overseeing participant health and photo release forms; organizing lunch deliveries for field trip lunch programs
• Creating and managing purchase orders, work orders and financial reports; filing invoices; coding credit card charges; coordinating supply orders
• Recording and preparing minutes of department staff meetings and participating in department activities
• Performing Internet searches for academic journal articles; updating departmental web pages
Strong Microsoft Office and Internet skills are required. Two-year business school degree with office experience is preferred, along with a sincere interest in sustainability and science education. This position is Monday through Friday, 32 hours per week. Please include a cover letter and resume when responding.