Summer Flower Show: Meet the Artists
Friday, April 26, 2013
5:30 – 7: 30 p.m.
Take a sneak peek at Summer Flower Show with the artists who brought it to life.
Catch a special preview of Summer Flower Show: Glass in the Gardens as you stop in each display room to chat with the talented glass artists whose work will be featured in this dazzling new exhibit. Enjoy a bite to eat at Café Phipps and grab a glass of wine for your stroll through the gardens to make it the perfect night out! Artist meet-and-greets are included in the price of admission, which costs $15 for adults, $14 for seniors and students, and $11 for children (two – 18). Members and kids under two enter free.
• Jenn Figg and Matt McCormack, working as a team, will exhibit passion flower vines and blooms made of glass alongside living plants in shades of purple, blue, yellow and white.
• Daviea Davis, a frequent instructor for Phipps, will present gorgeous stained-glass towers lit from within, revealing beautiful patterns set to complement orange, pink and purple flowers.
• Travis Rohrbaugh and Christopher Hofmann from Pittsburgh Glass Center will debut a partial articulated glass wooly mammoth skeleton encircled by lush, prehistoric-looking plants.
• Nikolaj Christensen, a Philadelphia artist, will display a variety of vases in the Sunken Garden and black obsidian rock outcroppings in the Fern Room.
• Jason Forck, a Pittsburgh Glass Center instructor and youth education coordinator, will feature large papery textured Chinese lantern seed pods among coral, orange and pink blooms.
• Diane Taninecz, an artist engaged in the pâte de verre technique, will sprinkle her intricate Queen Anne’s lace-inspired glass flowers among purple, white, pink and yellow blooms.
• Gary Guydosh of Gallery G Glass Studio will present abstract birds, water lilies and reeds placed alongside unusual tropical plants. He will also display an 8 ½-foot glass sunflower.
• Steven Sadvary, a local mosaic artist, will surprise Edible Garden guests with a sparkling glass tower.
• Lisa Platt, board president of the Craftsmen’s Guild of Pittsburgh, will exhibit her whimsical glass and mixed media works in the Welcome Center Gallery.
Photo © McCormack & Figg
Other Featured Exhibits & Events
- Winter Light Garden
and Flower Show
- Nov. 29, 2013 – Jan. 12, 2014;
Winter Light Garden open evenings 5 – 11 p.m.*
- Garden Railroad
- Now Open
- Candlelight Evenings
- Nov. 29, 2013 – Jan. 12, 2014
Extended Hours: Open until 11 p.m.*
- Santa Visits
- Saturdays and Sundays, Nov. 30 – Dec. 22, 2013, plus Nov. 29 and Dec. 2
11 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Brunch in Bloom
- Sundays, Dec. 29, 2013 – Jan. 12, 2014
Seatings available at 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.
- Biophilia: Pittsburgh
- First Thursday of Each Month
Next Meeting Dec. 5, 2013
- Gifts and Greens Market
- Dec. 5 – 7, 2013
Thursday and Friday, 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Special Vendors On-Site Until 3 p.m. Daily
- Party in the Tropics
- Select Fridays
Next Party Dec. 6, 2013
7 – 11 p.m.
- Inspire Speakers Series
- Second Thursday of every month, November 2013 – May 2014, except where noted
Next Event Dec. 12, 2013
5:30 – 8 p.m.
- Members-Only Shopping Hours and Discount
- Saturday, Dec. 14, 2013
7:30 – 9:30 a.m.
- Tropical Forest India
- Now Open