Nov. 29, 2013 – Jan. 12, 2014
Extended Hours: Open until 11 p.m.*
Escape the winter chill and stroll through a world of lush foliage, enhanced with beautiful holiday lights and candlelit walkways.
Through Jan. 12, the Conservatory will stay open until 11 p.m. to give visitors the chance to experience the magic of the Winter Flower Show in the evening. Enjoy a relaxing meal at Café Phipps, visit our outdoor Winter Light Garden, and meander through our wonderful gift shop to complete your holiday shopping.
Phipps closes at 5 p.m. on Dec. 24 and reopens at 9:30 a.m. on Dec. 26.
Other Featured Exhibits & Events
- Winter Light Garden
and Flower Show
- Nov. 29, 2013 – Jan. 12, 2014;
Winter Light Garden open evenings 5 – 11 p.m.*
- Open the doors to a magical world of glass, light and blooms. With glowing evergreens, festive poinsettias, brand-new illuminated glass installations and our stunning outdoor Winter Light Garden, Phipps will sparkle and shine like never before this holiday season.
- *Weather permitting
- Garden Railroad
- Now Open
- A unique twist on the traditional Garden Railroad, this year's display takes you to Phipps Prehistoric Park — a whimsical world where dinosaurs are brought back to life! Full of surprises, detailed models, moving parts and trains, this can't-miss exhibit is a thrilling adventure for all ages.
- Santa Visits
- Saturdays and Sundays, Nov. 30 – Dec. 22, 2013, plus Nov. 29 and Dec. 2
11 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Bring little ones, or the entire family, to pose for a festive photo with Santa: It’s a perfect way to get into the spirit of the season and share a special memory with friends on your holiday mailing list! Santa Visits are free with Phipps admission.
- Inspire Speakers Series
- Second Thursday of every month, November 2013 – May 2014, except where noted
Next Event Dec. 12, 2013
5:30 – 8 p.m.
- Green Building Alliance (GBA) and Phipps collaborate to host a second year of all-star local and national guest speakers at the Center for Sustainable Landscapes. Registration with GBA is required.
- Members-Only Shopping Hours and Discount
- Saturday, Dec. 14, 2013
7:30 – 9:30 a.m.
- Members: Have the Shop at Phipps all to yourselves as we open early just for you. Enjoy complimentary coffee and pastries as you browse our exquisite collection of unique gifts. Plus, get an extra 10-percent off on top of your member discount!
- Biophilia: Pittsburgh
- First Thursday of Each Month
Next Meeting Jan. 2, 2014
- Biophilia: Pittsburgh is the pilot chapter for a Biophilia Network of creative minds meeting monthly to discuss strengthening the bond between people and the natural world through education, discussion and action. Meetings are free to attend; advance RSVP is required. Join the conversation!
- Party in the Tropics
- Select Fridays
Next Party Jan. 3, 2014
7 – 11 p.m.
- Gather your friends and get ready to dine, drink and dance the night away at Phipps! Make our paradise your own as you indulge in sweet and savory morsels, taste unique cocktails, and dance to the beats of a live DJ in our Tropical Forest Conservatory. Entry is free with Conservatory admission.
- Brunch in Bloom
- Sundays, Jan. 5 and 12, 2014
Seatings available at 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.
- One of Pittsburgh’s best-kept foodie secrets returns for the holiday season! Join us to indulge in some of the freshest local, sustainable and seasonal flavors around town. Seating is limited, so RSVP today; Conservatory admission is included in the price!
- Tropical Forest India
- Now Open
- Explore our new exhibit showcasing one of the most botanically rich regions of the world. Highlights include an Ayurvedic healing garden, spice and tea market displays, a stunning temple facade on Special Events Hall, and more!