Summer Flower Show: Meet the Artists
Friday, April 26, 2013
5:30 – 7: 30 p.m.
Take a sneak peek at Summer Flower Show with the artists who brought it to life.
Catch a special preview of Summer Flower Show: Glass in the Gardens as you stop in each display room to chat with the talented glass artists whose work will be featured in this dazzling new exhibit. Enjoy a bite to eat at Café Phipps and grab a glass of wine for your stroll through the gardens to make it the perfect night out! Artist meet-and-greets are included in the price of admission, which costs $15 for adults, $14 for seniors and students, and $11 for children (two – 18). Members and kids under two enter free.
• Jenn Figg and Matt McCormack, working as a team, will exhibit passion flower vines and blooms made of glass alongside living plants in shades of purple, blue, yellow and white.
• Daviea Davis, a frequent instructor for Phipps, will present gorgeous stained-glass towers lit from within, revealing beautiful patterns set to complement orange, pink and purple flowers.
• Travis Rohrbaugh and Christopher Hofmann from Pittsburgh Glass Center will debut a partial articulated glass wooly mammoth skeleton encircled by lush, prehistoric-looking plants.
• Nikolaj Christensen, a Philadelphia artist, will display a variety of vases in the Sunken Garden and black obsidian rock outcroppings in the Fern Room.
• Jason Forck, a Pittsburgh Glass Center instructor and youth education coordinator, will feature large papery textured Chinese lantern seed pods among coral, orange and pink blooms.
• Diane Taninecz, an artist engaged in the pâte de verre technique, will sprinkle her intricate Queen Anne’s lace-inspired glass flowers among purple, white, pink and yellow blooms.
• Gary Guydosh of Gallery G Glass Studio will present abstract birds, water lilies and reeds placed alongside unusual tropical plants. He will also display an 8 ½-foot glass sunflower.
• Steven Sadvary, a local mosaic artist, will surprise Edible Garden guests with a sparkling glass tower.
• Lisa Platt, board president of the Craftsmen’s Guild of Pittsburgh, will exhibit her whimsical glass and mixed media works in the Welcome Center Gallery.
Photo © McCormack & Figg
Other Featured Exhibits & Events
- Spring Flower Show
- March 22 – April 20, 2014
- Garden Railroad
- Now Open
- Natives on the Rooftop
- April 4 – June 8, 2014
Tuesdays – Saturdays, 11 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Phipps Garden Center in Mellon Park
- Used Bulb Sale
- Saturdays, April 5, 19 and 26, 2014
10 a.m. – noon
- Biophilia: Pittsburgh
- Next Meeting April 17, 2014
- Bowties & Butterflies
- Thursday, April 24, 2014
6:30 – 10 p.m.
- Butterfly Forest
- April 26 – Sept. 1, 2014
- Party in the Tropics
- Select Fridays
Next Party May 2, 2014
7 – 11 p.m.
- 30th Annual Great Plant Auction
- May 2, 2014
- May Market and National Public Gardens Day
- May 9 and 10, 2014
Friday, 9:30 a.m. – 7 p.m.; Saturday, 9:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Summer Flower Show
- May 10 – Oct. 5, 2014
- Inspire Speakers Series
- Second Thursday of every month, November 2013 – May 2014, except where noted
Next Event May 15, 2014
5 – 8 p.m.
- Discovery Garden Day
- May 25, 2013
11 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- From the Ground Up: Community Feast
- May 31, 2014
12:30 – 2:30 p.m.
- Farmers at Phipps
- Wednesdays, June – October 2014
2:30 – 6:30 p.m.
- Tropical Forest India
- Now Open