Phipps goes prehistoric with a thrilling new dinosaur-themed display.
Our beloved Garden Railroad in the South Conservatory will soon be transformed, beckoning you to enter Phipps Prehistoric Park — a whimsical world where reckless efforts to bring dinosaurs back to life go awry, resulting in escaped creatures in the surrounding farmlands, cities and living landscapes populated with miniature plants, shrubs and trees.
Among Garden Railroad’s fun new features are model park facilities custom-made for the show by artist Gary Guydosh, hundreds of colorful dinosaurs, and a selection of rarely seen western Pennsylvania animal and plant fossils — some that even pre-date the dinosaur — made available by Carnegie Museum of Natural History. Presenting the wonder of plants and prehistory in exciting ways, this year’s show is sure to thrill guests of all ages.
Photos © Paul g. Wiegman, Pawsburgh Photography
Other Featured Exhibits & Events
- Summer Flower Show
- May 10 – Oct. 5, 2014
- The whimsical miniature world of Garden Railroad takes center stage at Phipps this summer. With themed railroad displays in multiple exhibit rooms enhanced by unique plantings, interactive features and more, this show will bring the wonder of childhood to visitors of all ages.
- Romero the Corpse Flower
Turns Over a New Leaf
- Coming soon; Stay tuned for details
- Last year, he wowed thousands with his inimitable odor, and this year, he’s back with an amazing new look. After 10 dormant months, Romero has produced an enormous leaf to collect energy for his next big bloom. Visit the Tropical Forest Conservatory to see his transformation firsthand.
- Butterfly Forest
- April 26 – Sept. 1, 2014
- Watch as gorgeous butterflies emerge from their chrysalises to soar and glide among colorful, bug-friendly blooms. One may even land on you!
- Farmers at Phipps
- Wednesdays, June – October 2014
2:30 – 6:30 p.m.
- Refresh your food shopping experience! Visit our sustainably managed front lawn to browse organic and Certified Naturally Grown fruits, vegetables and more from local farms.
- Party in the Tropics
- Select Fridays
Next Party Aug. 1, 2014
7 – 11 p.m.
- Gather your friends and get ready to dine, drink and dance the night away at Phipps! Make our paradise your own as you indulge in sweet and savory morsels, taste unique cocktails, and dance to the beats of a live DJ in our Tropical Forest Conservatory. Entry is free with Conservatory admission.
- Jack Buncher Foundation
Free Admission Day
- Aug. 4, 2014
9:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Phipps is thrilled to announce that all Conservatory guests will be admitted free of charge on Monday, Aug. 4, 2014 thanks to a generous grant from the Jack Buncher Foundation. Join us on this special day to enjoy our Summer Flower Show, Butterfly Forest and Tropical Forest Conservatory.
- Biophilia: Pittsburgh
- Next Meeting Aug. 7, 2014
6 p.m., with networking and refreshments at 5:30 p.m.
- Biophilia: Pittsburgh is the pilot chapter for a Biophilia Network of creative minds meeting monthly to discuss strengthening the bond between people and the natural world through education, discussion and action. Meetings are free to attend; advance RSVP is required. Join the conversation!
- Members-Only Bring a Friend Day
- Aug. 11, 2014
9:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- On this special day, bring a nonmember guest to experience the serenity and beauty of Phipps free of charge. Just show your membership card at the admissions desk to give someone special a treat to remember!
BETA Art Tours
- Aug. 16, 2014
11 a.m. – noon
- Discover the BETA Project, a new collection of art at the Center for Sustainable Landscapes designed to enhance and restore the bonds between people and the natural world. Tours are free for members; however, space is limited and reservations are required by the Thursday prior to each tour date. To reserve, please contact us at 412/622-6915, ext. 6505 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Red, Ripe and Roasted: Tomato and Garlic Festival
- Aug. 24, 2014
11 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Celebrate two of western Pennsylvania’s tastiest summer crops at our 10th annual tomato and garlic festival. Our historic front lawn will come alive with delicious food and family fun, including cooking demos, a farmer’s market, kids’ activities, special guests and more. Bring a donation for the Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank and receive free admission!
- Fall Round Up
- Sept. 5, 6 and 7, 2014
Friday, 1 – 7 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m. – 7 p.m.; Sunday, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Phipps Garden Center
- Headed to A Fair in the Park? Stop by our Shop in the Park at Phipps Garden Center, where we’ll be hosting a special sale on the patio along with a variety of other local vendors. You’re sure to find unique gifts for the greenest thumb in your life — and something special for yourself!
- Garden to Plate Dinner
- Sunday, Sept. 7, 2014
6:30 – 9 p.m.
- Join us for an unforgettable Sunday dinner, a bountiful garden-to-plate feast of fresh, locally grown fare, select wines and special entertainment.
- Tropical Forest India
- Now Open
- Explore our new exhibit showcasing one of the most botanically rich regions of the world. Highlights include an Ayurvedic healing garden, spice and tea market displays, a stunning temple facade on Special Events Hall, and more!