Up, Up and Agave!
In the Desert Room, our Agave americana puts on its remarkable final show, reaching high into the sky. Visit often to track its progress and to enjoy special events.
The Agave americana can live up to 100 years and grows slowly to flower only once in its lifetime. Phipps’ Agave, which is approximately 9 feet in diameter at its base, started growing a central stalk during week of March 25 and now reaches through the glass ceiling of the Desert Room. Daytime hours at Phipps (Mon.-Sun., 9:30 a.m.-5 p.m.) offer families the chance to explore the Conservatory and discover the giant agave. Update: The agave is in bloom! Visit the outdoor Japanese Garden now for the best view of the sunshine yellow flowers. Bring your binoculars for an up-close look.
Other Featured Exhibits & Events
- Summer Flower Show:
Glass in the Gardens
- April 27 – Oct. 6, 2013
- The dazzling glass creations of artists working in Pittsburgh and Pennsylvania will make our gardens shimmer and shine all summer long. Highlights include lifelike floral forms, whimsical long-legged birds, rotating stained-glass towers, and a large, articulated woolly mammoth skeleton.
- Butterfly Forest
- April 20 – Sept. 2, 2013
- Like flowers that fly, our butterfly residents will enchant nature-lovers of every age. Watch as gorgeous species such as Monarchs and Zebra Longwings emerge from their chrysalises to flutter among cheerful, bug-friendly blooms.
- Garden Variety:
A Farm-to-Phipps Dinner
- Sunday, July 21, 2013
6:30 – 9 p.m.
- Enjoy a rustic yet elegant farm-to-table dinner experience with fresh, handpicked selections from our region’s farms. If you love a food adventure, you won’t want to miss this chance to join local growers and artisans for this one-of-a-kind meal.
- Farmers at Phipps
- Wednesdays, June – October 2013
2:30 – 6:30 p.m.
- Refresh your food shopping experience! Visit our sustainably managed front lawn to browse organic and Certified Naturally Grown fruits, vegetables and more from local farms.
- Party in the Tropics
- Select Fridays in 2013
7 – 11 p.m.
- Gather your friends and get ready to dine, drink and dance the night away at Phipps! Make our paradise your own as you indulge in sweet and savory morsels, taste unique cocktails, and dance to the beats of a live DJ in our Tropical Forest Conservatory. Entry is free with Conservatory admission.
- Summer Short Course with David Culp
- Thursday, July 11, 2013
8:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
- Join us for a unique opportunity to learn from one of the nation’s leading garden experts as we and Penn State Extension present a special one-day course with celebrated designer, writer and lecturer David Culp at historic Botany Hall on our Oakland campus.
- Tropical Forest India
- Now Open
- Explore our new exhibit showcasing one of the most botanically rich regions of the world. Highlights include an Ayurvedic healing garden, spice and tea market displays, a stunning temple facade on Special Events Hall, and more!