Wild & Scenic Film Festival
Oct. 16, 2013
6 – 10 p.m., Doors open 5:45 p.m.
Join us for an evening of inspiring short films and a celebration of local efforts to combat climate change.
Allegheny Defense Project — in association with Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens, Heartwood, the Sierra Club, and 18 local and national cosponsors — is proud to present the Wild & Scenic® Film Festival, an evening of films designed to catalyze action and participation from local grassroots organizations. The festival is free and open to the public; early arrival is recommended for best seating.
The evening's program, "A Climate of Change," collects 10 inspiring short films from leading environmental filmmakers who take viewers to Kenya, Asia, the Arctic, and across the U.S. for a wide-ranging overview of the effects of climate change.
Started in 2003 by the South Yuba River Citizens League to promote community-building within California's Yuba Watershed, the Wild & Scenic Film Festival has evolved into an event series that tours the U.S. each year through the partnership of local, like-minded organizations and venues. The Oct. 16 event will mark the Wild & Scenic Film Festival's debut appearance in Pittsburgh.
Other Featured Exhibits & Events
- Winter Light Garden
and Flower Show
- Nov. 29, 2013 – Jan. 12, 2014;
Winter Light Garden open evenings 5 – 11 p.m.*
- Open the doors to a magical world of glass, light and blooms. With glowing evergreens, festive poinsettias, brand-new illuminated glass installations and our stunning outdoor Winter Light Garden, Phipps will sparkle and shine like never before this holiday season.
- *Weather permitting
- Garden Railroad
- Now Open
- A unique twist on the traditional Garden Railroad, this year's display takes you to Phipps Prehistoric Park — a whimsical world where dinosaurs are brought back to life! Full of surprises, detailed models, moving parts and trains, this can't-miss exhibit is a thrilling adventure for all ages.
- Candlelight Evenings
- Nov. 29, 2013 – Jan. 12, 2014
Extended Hours: Open until 11 p.m.*
- Winter Flower Show is even more enchanting at night – a time when glowing candles light your way and live music fills the air.
- *Note: We close at 5 p.m. on Dec. 24 and reopen at 9:30 a.m. on Dec. 26. Our Tropical Forest Conservatory is not part of Candlelight Evenings but will be open Fridays and other evenings if a private event is not scheduled.
- Santa Visits
- Saturdays and Sundays, Nov. 30 – Dec. 22, 2013, plus Nov. 29 and Dec. 2
11 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Bring little ones, or the entire family, to pose for a festive photo with Santa: It’s a perfect way to get into the spirit of the season and share a special memory with friends on your holiday mailing list! Santa Visits are free with Phipps admission.
- Brunch in Bloom
- Sundays, Dec. 29, 2013 – Jan. 12, 2014
Seatings available at 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.
- One of Pittsburgh’s best-kept foodie secrets returns for the holiday season! Join us to indulge in some of the freshest local, sustainable and seasonal flavors around town. Seating is limited, so RSVP today; Conservatory admission is included in the price!
- Biophilia: Pittsburgh
- First Thursday of Each Month
Next Meeting Dec. 5, 2013
- Biophilia: Pittsburgh is the pilot chapter for a Biophilia Network of creative minds meeting monthly to discuss strengthening the bond between people and the natural world through education, discussion and action. Meetings are free to attend; advance RSVP is required. Join the conversation!
- Gifts and Greens Market
- Dec. 5 – 7, 2013
Thursday and Friday, 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Special Vendors On-Site Until 3 p.m. Daily
- Peruse a large selection of fresh, aromatic evergreens for your home and find the perfect gifts for loved ones in our holiday boutique at Phipps Garden Center in Mellon Park. Free and open to the public!
- Party in the Tropics
- Select Fridays
Next Party Dec. 6, 2013
7 – 11 p.m.
- Gather your friends and get ready to dine, drink and dance the night away at Phipps! Make our paradise your own as you indulge in sweet and savory morsels, taste unique cocktails, and dance to the beats of a live DJ in our Tropical Forest Conservatory. Entry is free with Conservatory admission.
- Inspire Speakers Series
- Second Thursday of every month, November 2013 – May 2014, except where noted
Next Event Dec. 12, 2013
5:30 – 8 p.m.
- Green Building Alliance (GBA) and Phipps collaborate to host a second year of all-star local and national guest speakers at the Center for Sustainable Landscapes. Registration with GBA is required.
- Members-Only Shopping Hours and Discount
- Saturday, Dec. 14, 2013
7:30 – 9:30 a.m.
- Members: Have the Shop at Phipps all to yourselves as we open early just for you. Enjoy complimentary coffee and pastries as you browse our exquisite collection of unique gifts. Plus, get an extra 10-percent off on top of your member discount!
- Tropical Forest India
- Now Open
- Explore our new exhibit showcasing one of the most botanically rich regions of the world. Highlights include an Ayurvedic healing garden, spice and tea market displays, a stunning temple facade on Special Events Hall, and more!