Wild & Scenic Film Festival
Oct. 16, 2013
6 – 10 p.m., Doors open 5:45 p.m.
Join us for an evening of inspiring short films and a celebration of local efforts to combat climate change.
Allegheny Defense Project — in association with Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens, Heartwood, the Sierra Club, and 18 local and national cosponsors — is proud to present the Wild & Scenic® Film Festival, an evening of films designed to catalyze action and participation from local grassroots organizations. The festival is free and open to the public; early arrival is recommended for best seating.
The evening's program, "A Climate of Change," collects 10 inspiring short films from leading environmental filmmakers who take viewers to Kenya, Asia, the Arctic, and across the U.S. for a wide-ranging overview of the effects of climate change.
Started in 2003 by the South Yuba River Citizens League to promote community-building within California's Yuba Watershed, the Wild & Scenic Film Festival has evolved into an event series that tours the U.S. each year through the partnership of local, like-minded organizations and venues. The Oct. 16 event will mark the Wild & Scenic Film Festival's debut appearance in Pittsburgh.
Other Featured Exhibits & Events
- Orchid and Tropical Bonsai Show
- Jan. 18 – March 9, 2014
- Escape the cold of winter as you delight in a spectacular variety of colorful orchid specimens arranged in beds and baskets, and get a rare chance to see our entire collection of tropical bonsai all at once.
- Garden Railroad
- Now Open
- A unique twist on the traditional Garden Railroad, this year's display takes you to Phipps Prehistoric Park — a whimsical world where dinosaurs are brought back to life! Full of surprises, detailed models, moving parts and trains, this can't-miss exhibit is a thrilling adventure for all ages.
- Party in the Tropics
- Select Fridays
Next Party March 7, 2014
7 – 11 p.m.
- Gather your friends and get ready to dine, drink and dance the night away at Phipps! Make our paradise your own as you indulge in sweet and savory morsels, taste unique cocktails, and dance to the beats of a live DJ in our Tropical Forest Conservatory. Entry is free with Conservatory admission.
- Inspire Speakers Series
- Second Thursday of every month, November 2013 – May 2014, except where noted
Next Event March 13, 2014
5 – 8 p.m.
- Green Building Alliance (GBA) and Phipps collaborate to host a second year of all-star local and national guest speakers at the Center for Sustainable Landscapes. Registration with GBA is required.
- Seed Swap: 2014 Garden Season Opener
- March 15, 2014
11 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh - Main
- Join Phipps and Grow Pittsburgh at Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh in Oakland to swap seeds, learn tips and get ready for a great season of gardening. Bring seeds you saved from last year and take home an exciting selection to grow in your garden this year. Admission is free to the public.
- Biophilia: Pittsburgh
- Next Meeting March 20, 2014
- Biophilia: Pittsburgh is the pilot chapter for a Biophilia Network of creative minds meeting monthly to discuss strengthening the bond between people and the natural world through education, discussion and action. Meetings are free to attend; advance RSVP is required. Join the conversation!
- Spring Flower Show
- March 22 – April 20, 2014
- Take a toe-tapping journey through a musical world where melodies bloom like flowers. Highlights include whimsical sculptures made out of up-cycled instruments, plantings designed to mimic the rise and fall of musical notes, and thousands of beautiful blooms.
- Brunch in Bloom
- Select Sundays, March – May 2014
Seatings available at 11 a.m. and 1:15 p.m., except where noted
- One of Pittsburgh’s best-kept foodie secrets returns! Join us to indulge in some of the freshest local, sustainable and seasonal flavors around town. Conservatory admission is included in the price!
- Spring Flower Show Member Night
- March 27, 2014
6:30 – 9 p.m.
- Members get a private look at the sights, scents and sounds of Spring Flower Show, a music-inspired display of color and sweetly scented blooms. This event includes a cash bar and light snacks. RSVP required by March 17.
- Used Bulb Sale
- Saturdays, April 5, 19 and 26, 2014
10 a.m. – noon
- Attend our Used Bulb Sale for a chance to mix and match enough bulbs — including hyacinths, daffodils and lilies — to plant two pots, all for just $5!
- Bowties & Butterflies
- Thursday, April 24, 2014
6:30 – 10 p.m.
- Join us for a spring time garden gala as we welcome beautiful butterflies back to our Stove Room and toast the return of warmer weather.
- Butterfly Forest
- April 26 – Sept. 1, 2014
- Watch as gorgeous butterflies emerge from their chrysalises to soar and glide among colorful, bug-friendly blooms. One may even land on you!
- Tropical Forest India
- Now Open
- Explore our new exhibit showcasing one of the most botanically rich regions of the world. Highlights include an Ayurvedic healing garden, spice and tea market displays, a stunning temple facade on Special Events Hall, and more!