Swans in the Garden
Friday, Jan. 31, 2014
6 and 7:30 p.m.
Two of Pittsburgh's most treasured traditions come together like birds of a feather.
NOTE: This event is SOLD OUT. No further ticket sales will be available.
This Colorful orchids and tropical bonsai provide the perfect complement to a night of ballet at Swans in the Garden – a family-friendly event you won’t want to miss. Join us for this unique opportunity to explore Phipps’ Orchid and Tropical Bonsai Show by evening light and see vignettes from Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre’s rendition of Swan Lake on the very same night.
Swans in the Garden costs $25.75 for adults and $12.75 for children (under age 18), and includes a discounted ticket special to attend Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre’s full-length performance of Swan Lake at the Benedum Center. Phipps members, be sure to check your email for an exclusive 15-percent discount code. Tickets must be purchased in advance and will go quickly; order yours online from Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre or by calling 412/454-9107.
Photo © Aimee DiAndrea
Other Featured Exhibits & Events
- Summer Flower Show
- May 10 – Oct. 5, 2014
- The whimsical miniature world of Garden Railroad takes center stage at Phipps this summer. With themed railroad displays in multiple exhibit rooms enhanced by unique plantings, interactive features and more, this show will bring the wonder of childhood to visitors of all ages.
- Romero the Corpse Flower
Turns Over a New Leaf
- Last year, he wowed thousands with his inimitable odor, and this year, he’s back with an amazing new look. After 10 dormant months, Romero has produced an enormous leaf to collect energy for his next big bloom. Visit the Tropical Forest Conservatory to see his transformation firsthand.
- Butterfly Forest
- April 26 – Sept. 1, 2014
- Watch as gorgeous butterflies emerge from their chrysalises to soar and glide among colorful, bug-friendly blooms. One may even land on you!
- Farmers at Phipps
- Wednesdays, June – October 2014
2:30 – 6:30 p.m.
- Refresh your food shopping experience! Visit our sustainably managed front lawn to browse organic and Certified Naturally Grown fruits, vegetables and more from local farms.
- Red, Ripe and Roasted: Tomato and Garlic Festival
- Aug. 24, 2014
11 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Celebrate two of western Pennsylvania’s tastiest summer crops at our 10th annual tomato and garlic festival. Our historic front lawn will come alive with delicious food and family fun, including cooking demos, a farmer’s market, kids’ activities, special guests and more. Bring a donation for the Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank and receive free admission!
BETA Art Tours
- First and third Saturdays, July – October 2014
11 a.m. – noon
- Discover the BETA Project, a new collection of art at the Center for Sustainable Landscapes designed to enhance and restore the bonds between people and the natural world. Tours are free for members; however, space is limited and reservations are required by the Thursday prior to each tour date. To reserve, please contact us at 412/622-6915, ext. 6505 or email@example.com.
- Biophilia: Pittsburgh
- Next Meeting Sept. 4, 2014
6 p.m., with networking and refreshments at 5:30 p.m.
- Biophilia: Pittsburgh is the pilot chapter for a Biophilia Network of creative minds meeting monthly to discuss strengthening the bond between people and the natural world through education, discussion and action. Meetings are free to attend; advance RSVP is required. Join the conversation!
- Party in the Tropics
- Select Fridays
Next Party Sept. 5, 2014
7 – 11 p.m.
- Gather your friends and get ready to dine, drink and dance the night away at Phipps! Make our paradise your own as you indulge in sweet and savory morsels, taste unique cocktails, and dance to the beats of a live DJ in our Tropical Forest Conservatory. Entry is free with Conservatory admission.
- Fall Round Up
- Sept. 5, 6 and 7, 2014
Friday, 1 – 7 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m. – 7 p.m.; Sunday, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Phipps Garden Center
- Headed to A Fair in the Park? Stop by our Shop in the Park at Phipps Garden Center, where we’ll be hosting a special sale on the patio along with a variety of other local vendors. You’re sure to find unique gifts for the greenest thumb in your life — and something special for yourself!
- Garden to Plate Dinner
- Sunday, Sept. 7, 2014
6:30 – 9 p.m.
- Join us for an unforgettable Sunday dinner, a bountiful garden-to-plate feast of fresh, locally grown fare, select wines and special entertainment.
- Garden Railroad
- Now Open
- A unique twist on the traditional Garden Railroad, this year's display takes you to Phipps Prehistoric Park — a whimsical world where dinosaurs are brought back to life! Full of surprises, detailed models, moving parts and trains, this can't-miss exhibit is a thrilling adventure for all ages.
- Tropical Forest India
- Now Open
- Explore our new exhibit showcasing one of the most botanically rich regions of the world. Highlights include an Ayurvedic healing garden, spice and tea market displays, a stunning temple facade on Special Events Hall, and more!