June 1 and 2, 2013
Saturday, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.; Sunday, 11 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Join Phipps and Carnegie Science Center for a two-day celebration of butterflies with fun, educational activities for guests of all ages
In celebration of one of nature’s most important pollinators, Phipps and Carnegie Science Center are hosting Butterfly Weekend on June 1 and June 2. This two-day celebration will give visitors a chance to learn about the life cycle of butterflies and discover why these amazing insects have a remarkable ability to navigate, orient and migrate.
The Carnegie Science Center will provide hands-on activities and science demos on Saturday from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Phipps will continue the celebration on Sunday by hosting butterfly tours and discovery stations, from 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. Visitors who present a Carnegie Science Center Flight of the Butterflies ticket stub at Phipps will receive $2 off general admission on June 2. Visitors who bring their general admission ticket stubs from Phipps to the Science Center will receive a $2 discount on general admission June 1 – 14.
Day One: Carnegie Science Center
Saturday, June 1; 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
• View life-size models of each stage of a butterfly’s life cycle, and see antennae and scales under a microscope. Visitors will learn about ultraviolet light, how butterflies see and animal coloration.
• Create flip sticks that show the motion of a butterfly in flight in the Omnimax Lobby. Visitors will make butterfly snack bags in the Kitchen Theater at 11 a.m., 1 p.m. and 3 p.m.
• Enjoy a story time reading of Monarch! Come Play with Me at 11:30 a.m., 1:30 p.m. and 3:30 p.m.
• Experience the Science Center’s live butterfly tent to learn about the monarch’s habitat. A few lucky visitors will have a chance to volunteer to feed the butterflies.
• Meet Scott Creary, entomologist and Butterfly Forest exhibit coordinator for Phipps.
• See Flight of the Butterflies, sponsored locally by Commonwealth Connections Academy, at the Rangos Omnimax Theater. Cost of tickets for members of Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh is $7 for adults and $5 for children; tickets for nonmembers cost $8 for adults and $6 for children. Visit www.carnegiesciencecenter.org for show times.
Day Two: Phipps
Sunday, June 2; 11 a.m. – 4 p.m.
• Join Scott Creary, entomologist and Butterfly Forest exhibit coordinator, for a “Behind the Butterflies” tour at 11 a.m., noon, 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. He will take visitors through the Butterfly Forest and into the Production Greenhouses to observe the butterfly lab. Tours can be reserved for $2 on the day of the event on a first come, first-served basis, with a maximum of 15-20 guests per tour.
• Experience the Discovery Stations in the Children’s Discovery Garden to create a craft, pot a plant that attracts butterflies, and more.
• View life-size models of each stage of a butterfly’s life cycle, and see antennae and scales under a microscope with Carnegie Science Center staff.
• Enjoy butterfly-themed snacks at Café Phipps.
Other Featured Exhibits & Events
- Orchid and Tropical Bonsai Show
- Jan. 18 – March 9, 2014
- Garden Railroad
- Now Open
- Party in the Tropics
- Select Fridays
Next Party March 7, 2014
7 – 11 p.m.
- Inspire Speakers Series
- Second Thursday of every month, November 2013 – May 2014, except where noted
Next Event March 13, 2014
5 – 8 p.m.
- Seed Swap: 2014 Garden Season Opener
- March 15, 2014
11 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh - Main
- Biophilia: Pittsburgh
- Next Meeting March 20, 2014
- Spring Flower Show
- March 22 – April 20, 2014
- Brunch in Bloom
- Select Sundays, March – May 2014
Seatings available at 11 a.m. and 1:15 p.m., except where noted
- Spring Flower Show Member Night
- March 27, 2014
6:30 – 9 p.m.
- Used Bulb Sale
- Saturdays, April 5, 19 and 26, 2014
10 a.m. – noon
- Bowties & Butterflies
- Thursday, April 24, 2014
6:30 – 10 p.m.
- Butterfly Forest
- April 26 – Sept. 1, 2014
- Tropical Forest India
- Now Open