Jazz in the Garden
Thursday, June 12, 2014
7 – 10 p.m.
Join an all-star lineup of Pittsburgh jazz greats at the coolest event of the summer.
Beat the summer heat with cool tunes as we bring some of Pittsburgh’s finest jazz musicians together for one very special evening of music, blooms, food and libations in our lush Outdoor Garden.
Leading the stellar sextet on sax and trumpet are father and son Benny Benack, Jr. and Benny Benack III, who carry on a musical family legacy that has been a part of the Pittsburgh jazz scene for more than 50 years. They will be joined by two-time Grammy Award-winning saxophonist Eric DeFade and nationally traveled composer Max Leake on piano while bassist Mike Houlis and drummer David Glover keep the rhythm going into the night. During intermissions, local jazz-fusion favorites Jessica Zamiska and Arianna Powell of Velvet Heat will take the stage to showcase their signature sound.
For this summertime bash, we have prepared a menu that is as tantalizing as the tunes. If you choose, enjoy a New Orleans-inspired buffet-style spread complete with Cajun corn fritters, fried green tomatoes, shrimp po’ boys, chicken and sausage jambalaya, Cajun corn maque choux, muffulettas, and braised greens straight from Phipps’ own gardens.
Registration for Jazz in the Garden is $25 per guest for Phipps members and $35 for nonmembers. The optional buffet is available for an additional $20 per person. There will also be a cash bar. This event is currently sold out. Please contact us at 412/622-6915, ext. 6505 or firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the waiting list.
Other Featured Exhibits & Events
- Winter Light Garden
and Flower Show
- Nov. 28, 2014 – Jan. 11, 2015;
Winter Light Garden open evenings 5 – 11 p.m.*
- Take a walk in our Winter Wonderland as we bring to life one of the most beloved carols of all time. With glowing evergreens, festive poinsettias, illuminated glass and our stunning outdoor Winter Light Garden, Phipps will sparkle and shine like never before this holiday season.
- *Weather permitting
- Garden Railroad
- A unique twist on the traditional Garden Railroad, this year's display takes you back in time to the California Gold Rush — complete with water features, interactive buttons for children to push, and miniature living plants.
- Candlelight Evenings
- Nov. 28, 2014 – Jan. 11, 2015*
Extended Hours: Open until 11 p.m.
- Winter Flower Show is even more enchanting at night – a time when glowing candles light your way and live music fills the air.
- *Note: Phipps will close at 5 p.m. on Dec. 24 and reopen at 9:30 a.m. on Dec. 26.
- Santa Visits
- Saturdays and Sundays, Nov. 29 – Dec. 20, 2014, plus Nov. 28 and Dec. 1
11 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Bring the kids, or the entire family, to pose for a photo with Santa: It’s a perfect way to get into the spirit of the season and share a special memory with your holiday mailing list! Santa Visits are free with Phipps admission.
- Gifts and Greens Market
- Dec. 4 – 6, 2014
Thursday and Friday, 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Free and open to the public, this special holiday shopping tradition at Phipps Garden Center is sure to help you find the perfect gifts for everyone on your list this season.
- Biophilia: Pittsburgh
- Next Meeting Dec. 4, 2014
6 p.m., with networking and refreshments at 5:30 p.m.
- Biophilia: Pittsburgh is the pilot chapter for a Biophilia Network of creative minds meeting monthly to discuss strengthening the bond between people and the natural world through education, discussion and action. Meetings are free to attend; advance RSVP is required. Join the conversation!
BETA Art Tours
- First and third Saturdays, December 2014
Next Tour Dec. 6, 2014
11 a.m. – noon
- Discover the BETA Project, a new collection of art at the Center for Sustainable Landscapes designed to enhance and restore the bonds between people and the natural world. Tours are free for members; however, space is limited and reservations are required by the Thursday prior to each tour date. To reserve, please contact us at 412/622-6915, ext. 6505 or email@example.com.
- Saturdays with the Sugarplum Fairy
- Sat., Dec. 6 and 13, 2014
10:30 – 11 a.m.
- Phipps and Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre are pleased to present Saturdays with the Sugarplum Fairy, 30-minute creative movement dance classes and story time sessions with a dancer in costume. Activities are free with Conservatory admission and appropriate for comfortably-dressed children of all ages.
- Members-Only Shopping Hours and Discount
- Saturday, Dec. 6, 2014
8 – 10 a.m.
- Members: Have the Shop at Phipps all to yourselves as we open early just for you. Enjoy complimentary tea and coffee as you browse our exquisite collection of unique gifts. Plus, get an extra 10-percent off on top of your member discount!
- Family Fun Days
- Dec. 26 – 30, 2014
11 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Featuring a variety of engaging educational activities, all free with the price of admission, these special days at the Conservatory are filled with adventure and fun.
- New Year's Eve Family Celebration
- Dec. 31, 2014
6 – 9 p.m.
- At this family-friendly event, featuring a variety of activities for children, we will welcome 2015 with an early countdown at 8:45 p.m. so that everyone can join in the fun.
- Tropical Forest India
- Now Open
- Explore our new exhibit showcasing one of the most botanically rich regions of the world. Highlights include an Ayurvedic healing garden, spice and tea market displays, a stunning temple facade on Special Events Hall, and more!
- Romero the Corpse Flower
Turns Over a New Leaf
- Last year, he wowed thousands with his inimitable odor, and this year, he’s back with an amazing new look. After 10 dormant months, Romero has produced an enormous leaf to collect energy for his next big bloom. Visit the Tropical Forest Conservatory to see his transformation firsthand.