Jazz in the Garden
Thursday, June 12, 2014
7 – 10 p.m.
Join an all-star lineup of Pittsburgh jazz greats at the coolest event of the summer.
Beat the summer heat with cool tunes as we bring some of Pittsburgh’s finest jazz musicians together for one very special evening of music, blooms, food and libations in our lush Outdoor Garden.
Leading the stellar sextet on sax and trumpet are father and son Benny Benack, Jr. and Benny Benack III, who carry on a musical family legacy that has been a part of the Pittsburgh jazz scene for more than 50 years. They will be joined by two-time Grammy Award-winning saxophonist Eric DeFade and nationally traveled composer Max Leake on piano while bassist Mike Houlis and drummer David Glover keep the rhythm going into the night. During intermissions, local jazz-fusion favorites Jessica Zamiska and Arianna Powell of Velvet Heat will take the stage to showcase their signature sound.
For this summertime bash, we have prepared a menu that is as tantalizing as the tunes. If you choose, enjoy a New Orleans-inspired buffet-style spread complete with Cajun corn fritters, fried green tomatoes, shrimp po’ boys, chicken and sausage jambalaya, Cajun corn maque choux, muffulettas, and braised greens straight from Phipps’ own gardens.
Registration for Jazz in the Garden is $25 per guest for Phipps members and $35 for nonmembers. The optional buffet is available for an additional $20 per person. There will also be a cash bar. This event is currently sold out. Please contact us at 412/622-6915, ext. 6505 or firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the waiting list.
Other Featured Exhibits & Events
- Winter Light Garden
and Flower Show
- Nov. 28, 2014 – Jan. 11, 2015;
Winter Light Garden open evenings 5 – 11 p.m.*
- Take a walk in our Winter Wonderland as we bring to life one of the most beloved carols of all time. With glowing evergreens, festive poinsettias, illuminated glass and our stunning outdoor Winter Light Garden, Phipps will sparkle and shine like never before this holiday season.
- *Weather permitting
- Garden Railroad
- A unique twist on the traditional Garden Railroad, this year's display takes you back in time to the California Gold Rush — complete with water features, interactive buttons for children to push, and miniature living plants.
- Candlelight Evenings
- Nov. 28, 2014 – Jan. 11, 2015*
Extended Hours: Open until 11 p.m.
- Winter Flower Show is even more enchanting at night – a time when glowing candles light your way and live music fills the air.
- *Note: Phipps will close at 5 p.m. on Dec. 24 and reopen at 9:30 a.m. on Dec. 26.
- Santa Visits
- Saturdays and Sundays through Dec. 21, 2014
11 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Bring the kids, or the entire family, to pose for a photo with Santa: It’s a perfect way to get into the spirit of the season and share a special memory with your holiday mailing list! Santa Visits are free with Phipps admission.
BETA Art Tours
- First and third Saturdays, December 2014
Next Tour Dec. 20, 2014
11 a.m. – noon
- Discover the BETA Project, a new collection of art at the Center for Sustainable Landscapes designed to enhance and restore the bonds between people and the natural world. Tours are free for members; however, space is limited and reservations are required by the Thursday prior to each tour date. To reserve, please contact us at 412/622-6915, ext. 6505 or email@example.com.
- Family Fun Days
- Dec. 26 – 30, 2014
11 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Featuring a variety of engaging educational activities, all free with the price of admission, these special days at the Conservatory are filled with adventure and fun.
- New Year's Eve Family Celebration
- Dec. 31, 2014
6 – 9 p.m.
- At this family-friendly event, featuring a variety of activities for children, we will welcome 2015 with an early countdown at 8:45 p.m. so that everyone can join in the fun.
- Orchid and Tropical Bonsai Show
- Jan. 17 – March 1, 2015
- Chase away the winter blues with the spectacular sight of orchid specimens arranged in beds and baskets, and see unique selections from our permanent collection of tropical bonsai.
- Biophilia: Pittsburgh
- Next Meeting February 2015
6 p.m., with networking and refreshments at 5:30 p.m.
- Biophilia: Pittsburgh is the pilot chapter for a Biophilia Network of creative minds meeting monthly to discuss strengthening the bond between people and the natural world through education, discussion and action. Meetings are free to attend; advance RSVP is required. Join the conversation!
- Party in the Tropics
- Select Fridays
Next Party Feb. 13, 2015
7 – 11 p.m.
- Gather your friends and get ready to dine, drink and dance the night away at Phipps! Make our paradise your own as you indulge in sweet and savory morsels, taste unique cocktails, and dance to the beats of a live DJ in our Tropical Forest Conservatory. Entry is free with Conservatory admission.
- Hothouse Happy Hours
- Thursday, Feb. 19, 2015
6 – 8 p.m.
- Join us on Feb. 19 as we partner with the Pittsburgh Urban Magnetic Project (PUMP) to kick off Hothouse Happy Hours, a series of events for young professionals, featuring specialty cocktails, beer and wine, inspired bites and dynamic special guests.
- Tropical Forest India
- Now Open
- Explore our new exhibit showcasing one of the most botanically rich regions of the world. Highlights include an Ayurvedic healing garden, spice and tea market displays, a stunning temple facade on Special Events Hall, and more!
- Romero the Corpse Flower
Turns Over a New Leaf
- Last year, he wowed thousands with his inimitable odor, and this year, he’s back with an amazing new look. After 10 dormant months, Romero has produced an enormous leaf to collect energy for his next big bloom. Visit the Tropical Forest Conservatory to see his transformation firsthand.