Members-Only Valentine’s Day Dinner
Friday, Feb. 14, 2014
7 – 10 p.m.
Your valentine will swoon for a romantic dinner in the lush environs of Pittsburgh's glasshouse.
Why settle for a bouquet when you can have a whole garden of flowers? There’s nothing more romantic than savoring an elegant prix fixe meal by candlelight at Pittsburgh’s gorgeous glasshouse.
Registration for this event is open to Phipps members only. Reservations are $150 per person and include all courses, a complimentary glass of wine and a signature drink. To reserve your spot, please contact us at 412/622-6915, ext. 6505 or firstname.lastname@example.org by Feb. 3.
Not a member? Need to renew? Sign up online or call 412/622-6915, ext. 6500.
Shared Plate Appetizers
Tarragon-mustard lobster salad cup
Roasted dates with pancetta, almonds and chili
Brie-stuffed organic strawberries with chocolate-balsamic glaze
Lightly cured tuna with olives and shaved fennel
Vegan option: Blini with beluga lentil caviar
Petit vegetables from the chef’s garden, olive “soil” and Northeast Family Goat Farms goat cheese foam
Vegan option: Garden of petit vegetables from the chef’s garden, Olive “Soil” and roasted red pepper and artichoke coulis
Hazelnut-crusted Maple Leaf Farms duck breast with sun-dried cherry sauce
Filet of grass-fed Black Falls beef, peppered and grilled, finished with morel mushroom-toasted-garlic-Cabernet sauce and topped with crispy leeks
Organic wild-caught salmon served with lump crab stuffing and fire-roasted pepper and tomato sauce
Vegetable Wellington with seasonal vegetables from the chef’s garden
Vegan Option: Eggplant rollatini with savory millet and spinach filling, seasoned with fresh basil and topped with roasted tomato sauce
All entrées accompanied by braised endive and greens with citrus
Key lime tart made with Phipps-grown citrus
Sweet Madeira-poached pears stuffed with mascarpone mousse, candied citrus peel and walnuts
Vegan option: Hazelnut and chocolate chip shortbread with macerated fruit
Other Featured Exhibits & Events
- Winter Light Garden
and Flower Show
- Nov. 28, 2014 – Jan. 11, 2015;
Winter Light Garden open evenings 5 – 11 p.m.*
- Take a walk in our Winter Wonderland as we bring to life one of the most beloved carols of all time. With glowing evergreens, festive poinsettias, illuminated glass and our stunning outdoor Winter Light Garden, Phipps will sparkle and shine like never before this holiday season.
- *Weather permitting
- Garden Railroad
- A unique twist on the traditional Garden Railroad, this year's display takes you back in time to the California Gold Rush — complete with water features, interactive buttons for children to push, and miniature living plants.
- Candlelight Evenings
- Nov. 28, 2014 – Jan. 11, 2015*
Extended Hours: Open until 11 p.m.
- Winter Flower Show is even more enchanting at night – a time when glowing candles light your way and live music fills the air.
- *Note: Phipps will close at 5 p.m. on Dec. 24 and reopen at 9:30 a.m. on Dec. 26.
- Santa Visits
- Saturdays and Sundays, Nov. 29 – Dec. 20, 2014, plus Nov. 28 and Dec. 1
11 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Bring the kids, or the entire family, to pose for a photo with Santa: It’s a perfect way to get into the spirit of the season and share a special memory with your holiday mailing list! Santa Visits are free with Phipps admission.
- Gifts and Greens Market
- Dec. 4 – 6, 2014
Thursday and Friday, 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Free and open to the public, this special holiday shopping tradition at Phipps Garden Center is sure to help you find the perfect gifts for everyone on your list this season.
- Biophilia: Pittsburgh
- Next Meeting Dec. 4, 2014
6 p.m., with networking and refreshments at 5:30 p.m.
- Biophilia: Pittsburgh is the pilot chapter for a Biophilia Network of creative minds meeting monthly to discuss strengthening the bond between people and the natural world through education, discussion and action. Meetings are free to attend; advance RSVP is required. Join the conversation!
- Party in the Tropics
- Select Fridays
Next Party Dec. 5, 2014
7 – 11 p.m.
- Gather your friends and get ready to dine, drink and dance the night away at Phipps! Make our paradise your own as you indulge in sweet and savory morsels, taste unique cocktails, and dance to the beats of a live DJ in our Tropical Forest Conservatory. Entry is free with Conservatory admission.
BETA Art Tours
- First and third Saturdays, December 2014
Next Tour Dec. 6, 2014
11 a.m. – noon
- Discover the BETA Project, a new collection of art at the Center for Sustainable Landscapes designed to enhance and restore the bonds between people and the natural world. Tours are free for members; however, space is limited and reservations are required by the Thursday prior to each tour date. To reserve, please contact us at 412/622-6915, ext. 6505 or email@example.com.
- Saturdays with the Sugarplum Fairy
- Sat., Dec. 6 and 13, 2014
10:30 – 11 a.m.
- Phipps and Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre are pleased to present Saturdays with the Sugarplum Fairy, 30-minute creative movement dance classes and story time sessions with a dancer in costume. Activities are free with Conservatory admission and appropriate for comfortably-dressed children of all ages.
- Members-Only Shopping Hours and Discount
- Saturday, Dec. 6, 2014
8 – 10 a.m.
- Members: Have the Shop at Phipps all to yourselves as we open early just for you. Enjoy complimentary tea and coffee as you browse our exquisite collection of unique gifts. Plus, get an extra 10-percent off on top of your member discount!
- Family Fun Days
- Dec. 26 – 30, 2014
11 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Featuring a variety of engaging educational activities, all free with the price of admission, these special days at the Conservatory are filled with adventure and fun.
- New Year's Eve Family Celebration
- Dec. 31, 2014
6 – 9 p.m.
- At this family-friendly event, featuring a variety of activities for children, we will welcome 2015 with an early countdown at 8:45 p.m. so that everyone can join in the fun.
- Tropical Forest India
- Now Open
- Explore our new exhibit showcasing one of the most botanically rich regions of the world. Highlights include an Ayurvedic healing garden, spice and tea market displays, a stunning temple facade on Special Events Hall, and more!
- Romero the Corpse Flower
Turns Over a New Leaf
- Last year, he wowed thousands with his inimitable odor, and this year, he’s back with an amazing new look. After 10 dormant months, Romero has produced an enormous leaf to collect energy for his next big bloom. Visit the Tropical Forest Conservatory to see his transformation firsthand.