Nov. 30 and Dec. 1, 2012
Seatings available at 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.
Reserve your place for special holiday tradition: a formal English-style tea at Phipps Garden Center in Mellon Park.
Discover a new holiday tradition within a quaint Victorian library setting at Phipps Garden Center in Mellon Park. As part of this formal English-style tea, our award-winning Café Phipps will provide a delicious selection of tea, sandwiches and other treats for your enjoyment. Plus, our festive Gifts and Greens Market will be open for shopping before and after you dine.
Holiday Tea is $24 per person for Phipps members, and $27 for non-members (price includes tax and service). To make a reservation or learn more, please call 412/651-5281.
• Freshly-Baked Scones with Mascarpone-Orange Spread and House-Made Organic Preserves
• House-Made Lemon Tarts and Caramelized Apple Tarts
• Black Forest Trifles
• Assorted Finger Sandwiches: Watermelon, Mint and Whipped Goat Cheese; Bay Shrimp Salad with Organic Butter Lettuce and Avocado; Prosciutto with Fig Jam, Sliced Pear and Arugula; and Roasted Vegetable with Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
You may also enjoy a Mimosa or Poinsettia Cocktail for $5.
*Items subject to change
Other Featured Exhibits & Events
- Fall Flower Show
- Oct. 18 – Nov. 9, 2014
- In celebration of the harvest season and its changing hues, this colorful exhibit showcases beautiful chrysanthemums, vibrant foliage and other festive flowers as tiny trains wind their way through many of the Conservatory’s display rooms.
- Wines Under Glass
- Oct. 30, 2014
6:30 – 10 p.m.
- Join masked revelers and friends for select wine, cuisine and specialty cocktails as we celebrate the success of Tropical Forest India, our gorgeous Fall Flower Show, and Phipps’ many pacesetting firsts.
- Poinsettias and Pointe Shoes
- Friday, Nov. 21, 2014
6 and 7:30 p.m.
- Kick off the holiday season with two of Pittsburgh's most treasured traditions. Don’t miss this one-night-only opportunity to enjoy the botanical delights of Phipps and vignettes from Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre’s rendition of The Nutcracker on the very same night. Tickets are limited and must be purchased in advance!
- Garden Railroad
- A unique twist on the traditional Garden Railroad, this year's display takes you back in time to the California Gold Rush — complete with water features, interactive buttons for children to push, and miniature living plants.
- Romero the Corpse Flower
Turns Over a New Leaf
- Last year, he wowed thousands with his inimitable odor, and this year, he’s back with an amazing new look. After 10 dormant months, Romero has produced an enormous leaf to collect energy for his next big bloom. Visit the Tropical Forest Conservatory to see his transformation firsthand.
BETA Art Tours
- First and third Saturdays, November – December 2014
Next Tour Nov. 1, 2014
11 a.m. – noon
- Discover the BETA Project, a new collection of art at the Center for Sustainable Landscapes designed to enhance and restore the bonds between people and the natural world. Tours are free for members; however, space is limited and reservations are required by the Thursday prior to each tour date. To reserve, please contact us at 412/622-6915, ext. 6505 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Native Plant and Sustainability Conference
- Nov. 1, 2014
8:30 a.m. – 2:45 p.m.
William Pitt Union, University of Pittsburgh
- Phipps’ annual Native Plant and Sustainability Conference brings together national experts for a one-day forum on plants, landscapes and our roles as environmental stewards. This year’s program pairs an entomologist with a landscape designer to help illuminate how a well-designed landscape can be a place of beauty while fulfilling several important ecological functions.
- Biophilia: Pittsburgh
- Next Meeting Nov. 6, 2014
6 p.m., with networking and refreshments at 5:30 p.m.
- Biophilia: Pittsburgh is the pilot chapter for a Biophilia Network of creative minds meeting monthly to discuss strengthening the bond between people and the natural world through education, discussion and action. Meetings are free to attend; advance RSVP is required. Join the conversation!
- Party in the Tropics
- Select Fridays
Next Party Nov. 7, 2014
Featuring Wigle Whiskey
7 – 11 p.m.
- Gather your friends and get ready to dine, drink and dance the night away at Phipps! Make our paradise your own as you indulge in sweet and savory morsels, taste unique cocktails, and dance to the beats of a live DJ in our Tropical Forest Conservatory. Entry is free with Conservatory admission.
- Members-Only: Peek Behind the Petals
- Nov. 8, 2014
9:30 – 10:15 a.m.
- Explore the history and future of Phipps with Executive Director Richard V. Piacentini at this edition of our members-only Peek Behind the Petals series. This event is free for members; however, space is limited and reservations are required. To reserve, please contact us at 412/622-6915, ext. 6505 or email@example.com.
- Winter Light Garden
and Flower Show
- Nov. 28, 2014 – Jan. 11, 2015;
Winter Light Garden open evenings 5 – 11 p.m.*
- Take a walk in our Winter Wonderland as we bring to life one of the most beloved carols of all time. With glowing evergreens, festive poinsettias, illuminated glass and our stunning outdoor Winter Light Garden, Phipps will sparkle and shine like never before this holiday season.
- *Weather permitting
- Candlelight Evenings
- Nov. 28, 2014 – Jan. 11, 2015*
Extended Hours: Open until 11 p.m.
- Winter Flower Show is even more enchanting at night – a time when glowing candles light your way and live music fills the air.
- *Note: Phipps will close at 5 p.m. on Dec. 24 and reopen at 9:30 a.m. on Dec. 26.
- Santa Visits
- Saturdays and Sundays, Nov. 29 – Dec. 20, 2014, plus Nov. 28 and Dec. 1
11 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Bring the kids, or the entire family, to pose for a photo with Santa: It’s a perfect way to get into the spirit of the season and share a special memory with your holiday mailing list! Santa Visits are free with Phipps admission.
- Gifts and Greens Market
- Dec. 4 – 6, 2014
Thursday and Friday, 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Free and open to the public, this special holiday shopping tradition at Phipps Garden Center is sure to help you find the perfect gifts for everyone on your list this season.
- Saturdays with the Sugarplum Fairy
- Sat., Dec. 6 and 13, 2014
10:30 – 11 a.m.
- Phipps and Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre are pleased to present Saturdays with the Sugarplum Fairy, 30-minute creative movement dance classes and story time sessions with a dancer in costume. Activities are free with Conservatory admission and appropriate for comfortably-dressed children of all ages.
- Family Fun Days
- Dec. 26 – 30, 2014
11 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Featuring a variety of engaging educational activities, all free with the price of admission, these special days at the Conservatory are filled with adventure and fun.
- New Year's Eve Family Celebration
- Dec. 31, 2014
6 – 9 p.m.
- At this family-friendly event, featuring a variety of activities for children, we will welcome 2015 with an early countdown at 8:45 p.m. so that everyone can join in the fun.
- Tropical Forest India
- Now Open
- Explore our new exhibit showcasing one of the most botanically rich regions of the world. Highlights include an Ayurvedic healing garden, spice and tea market displays, a stunning temple facade on Special Events Hall, and more!