Farmers at Phipps
Wednesdays, June – October 2014
2:30 – 6:30 p.m.
Refresh your food shopping experience at our vibrant market, featuring organic and Certified Naturally Grown produce and more from local farms.
Now in its sixth year, our vibrant farmers’ market brings together community members and local food producers for one of the freshest food shopping experiences in town. Visit our sustainably managed front lawn to browse a colorful cornucopia of organic and Certified Naturally Grown fruits, vegetables and more. Plus, meet the farmers who grow your food!
Blackberry Meadows Farm
Brenckle’s Farm and Greenhouse
Clarion River Organics
Mott Family Farm
Pancake Tree Farm
Sonshine Family Farm
* Check back for updates as the season progresses
Farmers at Phipps is one of only a few area farmers’ markets dedicated to offering exclusively organic or CNG products, empowering you to make healthy, planet-friendly choices. During your visit, you are also invited to explore our outdoor gardens and sustainable plant beds, or buy tickets to see our railroad-themed Summer Flower Show.
Other Featured Exhibits & Events
- Spring Flower Show
- March 22 – April 20, 2014
- Take a toe-tapping journey through a musical world where melodies bloom like flowers. Highlights include whimsical sculptures made out of up-cycled instruments, plantings designed to mimic the rise and fall of musical notes, and thousands of beautiful blooms.
- Garden Railroad
- Now Open
- A unique twist on the traditional Garden Railroad, this year's display takes you to Phipps Prehistoric Park — a whimsical world where dinosaurs are brought back to life! Full of surprises, detailed models, moving parts and trains, this can't-miss exhibit is a thrilling adventure for all ages.
- Natives on the Rooftop
- April 4 – June 8, 2014
Tuesdays – Saturdays, 11 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Phipps Garden Center in Mellon Park
- Visit Phipps Garden Center in Mellon Park to view gorgeous illustrations of native plants by our talented botanical art students.
- Used Bulb Sale
- Saturdays, April 5, 19 and 26, 2014
10 a.m. – noon
- Attend our Used Bulb Sale for a chance to mix and match enough bulbs — including hyacinths, daffodils and lilies — to plant two pots, all for just $5!
- Biophilia: Pittsburgh
- Next Meeting April 17, 2014
- Biophilia: Pittsburgh is the pilot chapter for a Biophilia Network of creative minds meeting monthly to discuss strengthening the bond between people and the natural world through education, discussion and action. Meetings are free to attend; advance RSVP is required. Join the conversation!
- Bowties & Butterflies
- Thursday, April 24, 2014
6:30 – 10 p.m.
- Join us for a spring time garden gala as we welcome beautiful butterflies back to our Stove Room and toast the return of warmer weather.
- Butterfly Forest
- April 26 – Sept. 1, 2014
- Watch as gorgeous butterflies emerge from their chrysalises to soar and glide among colorful, bug-friendly blooms. One may even land on you!
- Party in the Tropics
- Select Fridays
Next Party May 2, 2014
7 – 11 p.m.
- Gather your friends and get ready to dine, drink and dance the night away at Phipps! Make our paradise your own as you indulge in sweet and savory morsels, taste unique cocktails, and dance to the beats of a live DJ in our Tropical Forest Conservatory. Entry is free with Conservatory admission.
- 30th Annual Great Plant Auction
- May 2, 2014
- This annual event is a plant lover’s dream: Enjoy wine and hors d'oeuvres as Phipps Garden Center in Mellon Park transforms into an auction house for unique plants and garden accessories. Reservations are required.
- May Market and National Public Gardens Day
- May 9 and 10, 2014
Friday, 9:30 a.m. – 7 p.m.; Saturday, 9:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- A fun family outing held just before Mother’s Day, our 78th annual May Market features a wide selection of plants, including organic seedlings, specimens from our greenhouses and more. This event is free and open to the public, and in honor of National Public Gardens Day, admission to Phipps is half price during market hours.
- Summer Flower Show
- May 10 – Oct. 5, 2014
- The whimsical miniature world of Garden Railroad takes center stage at Phipps this summer. With themed railroad displays in multiple exhibit rooms enhanced by unique plantings, interactive features and more, this show will bring the wonder of childhood to visitors of all ages.
- Inspire Speakers Series
- Second Thursday of every month, November 2013 – May 2014, except where noted
Next Event May 15, 2014
5 – 8 p.m.
- Green Building Alliance (GBA) and Phipps collaborate to host a second year of all-star local and national guest speakers at the Center for Sustainable Landscapes. Registration with GBA is required.
- Discovery Garden Day
- May 25, 2013
11 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Bring the whole family to the Children's Discovery Garden for a day of hands-on, sensory fun. Together, you’ll learn about plants and their pollinators through games, potting stations, crafts and more — all free with Conservatory admission.
- From the Ground Up: Community Feast
- May 31, 2014
12:30 – 2:30 p.m.
- Join us for a lunchtime celebration with the high school student participants in our From the Ground Up food and culture program.
- Tropical Forest India
- Now Open
- Explore our new exhibit showcasing one of the most botanically rich regions of the world. Highlights include an Ayurvedic healing garden, spice and tea market displays, a stunning temple facade on Special Events Hall, and more!