April 20 – Sept. 2, 2013
Glimpse the wonder firsthand as colorful butterflies break free of their chrysalises to flit and flutter among the blooms.
Like flowers that fly, butterflies add motion to the colorful splendor of our Stove Room, where fragrant, bug-friendly blooms add an aromatic element to an already delightful experience. A family favorite, Butterfly Forest enchants visitors of all ages while showcasing the delicate life cycle of one of nature's most important pollinators. Be sure to look out for yellow and black striped Zebra Longwings, orange and black western Pennsylvania Monarchs, and more as you explore the garden. If you're lucky, one of these beauties might even land on your shoulder!
Other Featured Exhibits & Events
- Summer Flower Show:
Glass in the Gardens
- April 27 – Oct. 6, 2013
- The dazzling glass creations of artists working in Pittsburgh and Pennsylvania will make our gardens shimmer and shine all summer long. Highlights include lifelike floral forms, whimsical long-legged birds, rotating stained-glass towers, and a large, articulated woolly mammoth skeleton.
- Garden Variety:
A Farm-to-Phipps Dinner
- Sunday, July 21, 2013
6:30 – 9 p.m.
- Enjoy a rustic yet elegant farm-to-table dinner experience with fresh, handpicked selections from our region’s farms. If you love a food adventure, you won’t want to miss this chance to join local growers and artisans for this one-of-a-kind meal.
- Farmers at Phipps
- Wednesdays, June – October 2013
2:30 – 6:30 p.m.
- Refresh your food shopping experience! Visit our sustainably managed front lawn to browse organic and Certified Naturally Grown fruits, vegetables and more from local farms.
- Party in the Tropics
- Select Fridays in 2013
7 – 11 p.m.
- Gather your friends and get ready to dine, drink and dance the night away at Phipps! Make our paradise your own as you indulge in sweet and savory morsels, taste unique cocktails, and dance to the beats of a live DJ in our Tropical Forest Conservatory. Entry is free with Conservatory admission.
- Summer Short Course with David Culp
- Thursday, July 11, 2013
8:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
- Join us for a unique opportunity to learn from one of the nation’s leading garden experts as we and Penn State Extension present a special one-day course with celebrated designer, writer and lecturer David Culp at historic Botany Hall on our Oakland campus.
- Tropical Forest India
- Now Open
- Explore our new exhibit showcasing one of the most botanically rich regions of the world. Highlights include an Ayurvedic healing garden, spice and tea market displays, a stunning temple facade on Special Events Hall, and more!