Natives on the Rooftop
April 4 – June 8, 2014
Tuesdays – Saturdays, 11 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Phipps Garden Center in Mellon Park
Visit Phipps Garden Center to view a new gallery of botanical art by our talented students.
Friday, April 4, 2014; 6 – 7:30 p.m.
Join us to celebrate the opening of Natives on the Rooftop at a special wine and cheese reception. To RSVP, call 412/441-4442, ext. 3925.
Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens and Allegheny Highlands Botanical Art Society cordially invite you to Phipps Garden Center in Mellon Park for Natives on the Rooftop, a new collection of illustrations from Phipps botanical art students. This exciting new series highlights specimens grown on the Center for Sustainable Landscapes green roof, and each image is accompanied by a description of the plant and its use.
Gloria Rogulin Blake
Other Featured Exhibits & Events
- Winter Light Garden
and Flower Show
- Nov. 28, 2014 – Jan. 11, 2015;
Winter Light Garden open evenings 5 – 11 p.m.*
- Take a walk in our Winter Wonderland as we bring to life one of the most beloved carols of all time. With glowing evergreens, festive poinsettias, illuminated glass and our stunning outdoor Winter Light Garden, Phipps will sparkle and shine like never before this holiday season.
- *Weather permitting
- Garden Railroad
- A unique twist on the traditional Garden Railroad, this year's display takes you back in time to the California Gold Rush — complete with water features, interactive buttons for children to push, and miniature living plants.
- Candlelight Evenings
- Nov. 28, 2014 – Jan. 11, 2015*
Extended Hours: Open until 11 p.m.
- Winter Flower Show is even more enchanting at night – a time when glowing candles light your way and live music fills the air.
- *Note: Phipps will close at 5 p.m. on Dec. 24 and reopen at 9:30 a.m. on Dec. 26.
- Santa Visits
- Saturdays and Sundays through Dec. 21, 2014
11 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Bring the kids, or the entire family, to pose for a photo with Santa: It’s a perfect way to get into the spirit of the season and share a special memory with your holiday mailing list! Santa Visits are free with Phipps admission.
BETA Art Tours
- First and third Saturdays, December 2014
Next Tour Dec. 20, 2014
11 a.m. – noon
- Discover the BETA Project, a new collection of art at the Center for Sustainable Landscapes designed to enhance and restore the bonds between people and the natural world. Tours are free for members; however, space is limited and reservations are required by the Thursday prior to each tour date. To reserve, please contact us at 412/622-6915, ext. 6505 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Family Fun Days
- Dec. 26 – 30, 2014
11 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Featuring a variety of engaging educational activities, all free with the price of admission, these special days at the Conservatory are filled with adventure and fun.
- New Year's Eve Family Celebration
- Dec. 31, 2014
6 – 9 p.m.
- At this family-friendly event, featuring a variety of activities for children, we will welcome 2015 with an early countdown at 8:45 p.m. so that everyone can join in the fun.
- Orchid and Tropical Bonsai Show
- Jan. 17 – March 1, 2015
- Chase away the winter blues with the spectacular sight of orchid specimens arranged in beds and baskets, and see unique selections from our permanent collection of tropical bonsai.
- Biophilia: Pittsburgh
- Next Meeting February 2015
6 p.m., with networking and refreshments at 5:30 p.m.
- Biophilia: Pittsburgh is the pilot chapter for a Biophilia Network of creative minds meeting monthly to discuss strengthening the bond between people and the natural world through education, discussion and action. Meetings are free to attend; advance RSVP is required. Join the conversation!
- Party in the Tropics
- Select Fridays
Next Party Feb. 13, 2015
7 – 11 p.m.
- Gather your friends and get ready to dine, drink and dance the night away at Phipps! Make our paradise your own as you indulge in sweet and savory morsels, taste unique cocktails, and dance to the beats of a live DJ in our Tropical Forest Conservatory. Entry is free with Conservatory admission.
- Hothouse Happy Hours
- Thursday, Feb. 19, 2015
6 – 8 p.m.
- Join us on Feb. 19 as we partner with the Pittsburgh Urban Magnetic Project (PUMP) to kick off Hothouse Happy Hours, a series of events for young professionals, featuring specialty cocktails, beer and wine, inspired bites and dynamic special guests.
- Tropical Forest India
- Now Open
- Explore our new exhibit showcasing one of the most botanically rich regions of the world. Highlights include an Ayurvedic healing garden, spice and tea market displays, a stunning temple facade on Special Events Hall, and more!
- Romero the Corpse Flower
Turns Over a New Leaf
- Last year, he wowed thousands with his inimitable odor, and this year, he’s back with an amazing new look. After 10 dormant months, Romero has produced an enormous leaf to collect energy for his next big bloom. Visit the Tropical Forest Conservatory to see his transformation firsthand.