How do I register for a field trip program?
Field trip programs generally run for 45 – 60 minutes. In addition to your class, you may choose an hour-long docent-led tour or a self-guided visit.
- Call 412/441-4442, ext. 3925 to schedule a field trip or to discuss which program best suits your students' needs.
- At least four weeks advance registration is required for all field trips.
- Once you have spoken with a Phipps staff member and registered for a program, you will receive confirmation via email.
- The program fee is due upon arrival at the Conservatory. Please assign one adult to pay the program fee for the entire group.
Some Tips for Your Trip:
- Field trip programs are offered to groups of at least eight students.
- If you arrive with less than eight students, your program will be subject to cancellation; however, you will still be able to enjoy the Conservatory at your leisure.
- If you have more than 30 students, we are happy to offer "back-to-back" program sessions for your group.
- If your group is scheduled for “back-to-back” programs, please divide into two or more evenly-sized groups prior to your visit to Phipps. Upon arrival, an education staff member will direct your groups to the appropriate location.
- Groups on docent-guided tours will be split further, into sets of eight – 12 children with at least one adult.
- The cost of a field trip program is $7 per student unless otherwise stated. Groups receive one complimentary adult admission for every eight children. Additional adults pay regular admission price.
- Docent-guided tours are available free of change.
- Phipps requires at least one adult chaperone for every 10 students. Please note: One adult for every eight students will be admitted free of charge; we strongly suggest this higher adult to student ratio.
- Please plan to arrive 15 – 30 minutes before your scheduled program.
- Groups traveling long distances should allow time to use the restrooms before and after their scheduled activities.
- Groups arriving late will receive a shortened program that will end at the original scheduled time. If your group arrives more than 20 minutes late, the program and docent-guided tour may be cancelled. In this case, the group is welcome to visit the Conservatory at their leisure.
- A limited amount of free parking is available for buses and cars.
- Teachers and chaperones are responsible for supervising students during field trip programs and tours. Phipps reserves the right to terminate all programs and tours if groups do not maintain proper supervision.
- Please refrain from using cell phones in the classroom or while on a tour.
Where can I eat lunch?
- Due to limited space, Phipps is unable to accommodate groups inside the Conservatory or Café Phipps (unless you have purchased a lunch there). Students may bring lunches and eat in the Outdoor Garden (if open) or in the areas surrounding Phipps, such as Anderson Park, Flagstaff Hill and Schenley Park. Please plan according to weather.
- Please call 412/441-4442, ext. 3925 to discuss options for reserving an indoor lunch space for your group.
- If you would like to have your lunches stored at the admissions desk during the program, please place them in large boxes. You may bring them to the desk when you check in for your program.
What if I just want my class to have a tour and not a program?
- The cost of a docent-guided tour without a field trip program is $6 per child (two – 18 years). Tour groups receive one complimentary adult admission for every eight children. Additional adults pay regular admission price.
- Docent-guided tours of the Conservatory are also available for groups that do not wish to have a field trip program. You must register at least four weeks in advance for these tours.
- Tours are approximately one hour in length.
- Please call 412/441-4442, ext. 3925 to schedule a docent-guided tour.
- Explore the Conservatory at your own pace.
- Prices for self-directed visits are $5 for children (two – 18 years) and $15 for adults. There is no complimentary admission for accompanying adults.
- Please register in advance.