How do I register for a classroom program?
School programs generally run 45 to 60 minutes long. In addition to your class, you may choose an hour long docent-led tour or a self-guided visit.
- Call (412) 441-4442, ext. 3925 to schedule a school program or discuss which program best suites your students' needs.
- At least four weeks advance registration is required for all school programs.
- Once you have spoken with a Phipps staff member and registered for a school program, you will receive a written confirmation and request for deposit. Please return this request with a $40.00 deposit to hold your specified date and time. If the deposit is not received by the specified date, your registration will be cancelled.
- The outstanding program fee is due upon arrival to the Conservatory.
Some Tips for Your Trip:
- School programs are offered for groups of at least eight students but no more than 60 students. If you have more than 30 students we are happy to offer "back-back" program sessions for your group. If you arrive with less than eight students, we reserve the right to cancel your program. You will still be able to enjoy the Conservatory at your leisure.
- Each group cannot exceed 30 students. If your group has more than 30 students, you must divide into two or more even groups for your class sessions prior to your visit to Phipps. Upon arrival, an education staff member will direct part of your group to the classroom and part of your group to the Conservatory.
- Groups on docent-guided tours will be split up further with eight to ten children and one adult per docent. At the specified time, the two groups will switch activities.
- The cost of a school program is $7.00 per student unless otherwise stated. Phipps is pleased to offer a limited amount of scholarships that may cover the cost of the programs, transportation to the Conservatory, or both. Please call the education department for more information.
- The cost of a school program with a docent-guided tour is $7.00 per student unless otherwise stated. Phipps requires one adult for every eight students. Admission for these adults will be free. Additional adults will pay regular admission of $12.00. (Due to space constraints within the classroom and in the Conservatory, we can only accommodate four chaperones, including classroom teachers, per group of 30.)
- Fees for tours without programs are $6.00 for children (2-18 years) and $12.00 for adults. School tour groups will receive one complimentary adult admission per every eight children. Additional adults will pay regular admission price.
- Groups that travel a long distance should allow time to use the restrooms in the Welcome Center before their scheduled program.
- Plan to arrive 15 to 30 minutes before your scheduled program time. If you arrive more than 30 minutes early, please keep the students on the bus until a staff member can assist you.
- Groups arriving late will receive a shortened program that will end at the original scheduled time. If your group arrives more than 15 minutes late, the school program and docent-guided tour will both be cancelled. In this case, the group is welcome to visit the Conservatory at their own pace.
- Deposits are non-refundable unless the program is cancelled by Phipps in advance.
- A limited amount of free parking is available for buses and cars.
- Teachers and chaperones are responsible for disciplining students during Phipps school programs and tours. Phipps reserves the right to terminate all programs and tours if disciplinary action is not taken.
- Please refrain from using cell phones in the classroom or while on a tour.
Where can I eat lunch?
- Due to limited space, Phipps is not able to accommodate groups eating inside the Conservatory, the classroom or Café Phipps (unless you have purchased a lunch there or have registered for the lunch program). Students may bring lunches and eat in the Outdoor Garden (if open) or in the areas surrounding Phipps, such as Anderson Park, Flagstaff Hill, and Schenley Park. Please plan according to weather.
- If you would like to have your lunches stored at the admissions desk during the program, please place them in large boxes. You may bring them to the desk when you check in for your program.
What if I just want my class to have a tour and not a program?
- Docent-guided tours of the Conservatory are also available for groups that do not wish to have a class. You must register at least four weeks in advance for docent-guided tours.
- Tours are approximately one hour in length. Fees for tours without programs are $6.00 for children (2-18 years) and $12.00 for adults. School tour groups will receive one complimentary adult admission per every eight children. Additional adults will pay regular admission price.
- Please call (412) 441-4442, ext. 3925 to schedule a docent-guided tour without a class.
- Please refrain from using cell phones while on docent-guided tours of the Conservatory.
- Explore the Conservatory at your own pace.
- Prices for self-directed visits are $5.00 for children (2-18 years) and $12.00 for adults. However, there is no complimentary admission for accompanying adults.
- Please register in advance.