Employment at Phipps
Phipps is looking for dedicated people with a passion for the green world. New opportunities are posted frequently so please check back often. Qualified candidates should send their resume and cover letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens, Human Resources Department, 1059 Shady Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15232. Phipps is an equal opportunity employer.
Or, request an application by filling out our contact form.
Full-time employees enjoy discounts in The Shop in the Park, The Shop at Phipps and Café Phipps, as well as free tuition for Phipps education classes. After a 60-day waiting period, full-time employees are eligible for health care, vision, and dental insurance, paid vacation, sick leave, personal leave, paid holidays, short- and long-term disability, and life insurance. After one year and 1,000 hours, full-time employees qualify for the retirement program.
Building Maintenance Technician
Phipps is seeking a full-time, experienced Building Maintenance Technician. Principal responsibilities include:
• Maintenance, repair and commissioning of all renewable energy sources including solar panel arrays and wind turbine.
• Operating, installing and maintaining equipment including boilers, pumps, valves, piping, generators, air conditioning, compressors, fans and related machinery.
• Installing and maintaining electrical equipment including switches, controls, motors, lighting, wiring, etc.
• Performing any daily, preventive or emergency maintenance on plumbing, hydraulics, fountain effects, etc.
• Managing and completing work tickets.
• Assisting with setup and tear down of seasonal exhibits and displays.
Degree in appropriate field and 3-5 years’ relevant work experience are required, as well as a valid Pennsylvania driver’s license. Must be available to work all different shifts, including holidays and weekends. Skill required in operating personal computer utilizing a variety of computer software. The successful candidate will have an excellent attendance record and work ethic and the ability to work independently. Please include a cover letter, resume and salary history when responding.
Event Sales Administrator
As one of the nation’s oldest and largest Victorian greenhouses, Phipps provides the perfect location for any special event. Phipps is seeking a full-time Event Sales Administrator in the Event Sales department to provide administrative support of Conservatory rentals. Essential duties and responsibilities will include:
• Promptly responding to Event Sales emails and telephone inquiries.
• Taking prospective clients on Conservatory tours.
• Preparing event estimates and contracts for clients; managing payments for rental events; maintaining pertinent information in spreadsheets.
• Placing and picking up alcohol orders; keeping alcohol organized on site and pulling alcohol for events; preparing final consumption totals.
• Administrative duties for the department, e.g., recording minutes, preparing purchase orders, scheduling meetings, etc.
The qualified candidate must have exceptional guest service, administrative and organizational skills and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment, including weekend and evening hours. Associate’s degree in related field and previous experience in events preferred; a valid driver’s license is required. Please include cover letter, resume and salary history when responding.
Event Sales Supervisor
As one of the nation’s oldest and largest Victorian greenhouses, Phipps provides the perfect location for any special event. Phipps is seeking a full-time Event Sales Supervisor in the Event Sales department, focusing on scheduling and management of Conservatory rentals. Essential duties and responsibilities will include:
• Serving as primary staff person responsible for event sales of individual spaces within or the entire Conservatory.
• Responding to all requests for event sales information. Scheduling appointments and meeting with potential clients to view available options.
• Preparing and maintaining overall timelines for events. Coordinating with caterers, rental companies, musicians, etc., prior to events to determine logistics and floor plans.
• On day of event, providing onsite event organization and oversight of clients, staff and vendors.
• Participating in the development of short- and long-range planning for the department in accordance with the Conservatory’s goals and objectives.
• Creating databases and providing administrative support for department.
The qualified candidate must have exceptional guest service and organizational skills and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment. Weekend and evening availability is required. Bachelor’s degree in related field and previous experience in events preferred. Please include a cover letter, resume and salary history when responding.
Phipps is seeking a full-time Executive Secretary to provide administrative support for the Executive Director. Essential duties and responsibilities:
• Arrange, coordinate, compose and/or type all written correspondence, emails, reports, memos, schedules and other materials for Executive Director
• Coordinate meetings and maintain Outlook calendar for Executive Director.
• Arrange and coordinate transportation, travel, hotel reservations, meals, written materials and meeting details for Executive Director, board members and staff.
• Place, answer and screen calls to visitors for the Executive Director. Greet and escort visitors. Provide Conservatory tours as required.
• Assist Executive Director with basic information research; prepare and arrange charts, graphs, audio-visual materials and other data as needed.
• Open, screen and direct mail for Executive Director.
• Maintain tracking system for correspondence and projects, keeping Executive Director apprised of the status of projects and adhering to project deadlines.
• Attend board meetings; record and accurately transcribe minutes for distribution. Prepare and organize information and necessary supplies for all board meetings.
• May be required to deliver or pick up documents and parcels, make trips to bank, post office, etc.
The candidate must be a professional, highly motivated and reliable individual with exceptional writing, communication and organizational skills; must be able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously with minimal supervision. Strong computer skills (Microsoft Office) required. Bachelor’s degree and two years’ relevant experience preferred; museum/nonprofit experience is a plus. Please include a cover letter, resume and salary history when responding.
Gift Shop Coordinator
Phipps is seeking a full-time Gift Shop Coordinator to provide an excellent level of guest service in The Shop at Phipps. Essential duties and responsibilities will include:
• Training employees to provide exceptional guest service.
• Opening and closing the register, counting money and balancing the cash drawer.
• Greeting the public, distributing information, answering questions and directing guests where necessary.
• Working proactively in assisting patrons with their gift-buying needs.
• Assisting in the purchase and display of quality products that reflect excellence in horticulture and sustainability, ascertaining that all products fall within the mission statement of the Conservatory.
• Assisting with cost control and profit and loss statements, monthly reports, quarterly and year-end inventory reports, etc.
The qualified candidate must have exceptional guest service skills and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment. Availability for all shifts, including evenings, holidays and weekends, required. Associate's degree and retail management experience preferred. Please include a cover letter, resume and salary history when responding.
Information Technology Manager
Phipps is seeking a full-time Information Technology Manager to oversee our systems infrastructure at both our Oakland and Shadyside locations. Under the direction of the Chief Financial Officer, the Information Technology Manager is responsible for the planning, organizing and execution of the organization’s entire information management system, including Phipps’ network, computers, software, telephones and audiovisual systems. This includes directing all IT operations to meet customer requirements as well as the support, training and maintenance of existing applications and development of new technical solutions.
The candidate must be a professional, highly motivated and reliable individual with comprehensive knowledge of state-of-the-art computer hardware and software applications, including expert working knowledge of LAN systems and the maintenance and upkeep requirements of an information system similar to Phipps’. Great customer service skills are a must. Bachelor’s degree and four years’ relevant IT Management experience preferred; museum/nonprofit experience is a plus. Please include a cover letter, resume and salary history when responding.
Studio Phipps Manager
Drawing upon knowledge gained from more than a decade of designing, creating and maintaining innovative sustainable landscapes and green buildings, Studio Phipps: Sustainable Design Group offers commercial clients a unique perspective in both identifying opportunities to integrate natural and built environments, and finding workable solutions to sustainability challenges.
Phipps is looking to hire a full-time Studio Phipps Manager to manage and lead a fee/mission-based sustainable design and consulting team to extend Phipps’ mission beyond the Schenley Park campus. This position will provide support to internal and external clients to grow profitable projects that maintain positive relationships and contracts. Principal duties and responsibilities include managing a fee/mission based sustainable design and consulting group; working to develop, review and report on business development strategy, project leads and proposals to generate revenue for Studio Phipps; networking with local, regional and national companies and organizations to introduce them to Studio Phipps offerings/services; and providing original landscape designs to internal and external clients while managing other consultant’s services and deliverables.
Preferred education and experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in landscape architecture, civil engineering, environmental science or related field.
• Experience in the design of landscapes and ecological restoration projects.
• Understanding of biophilia and permaculture principles.
• ASLA Registered Landscape Architect (RLA) status is preferred.
• USGBC LEED Accredited Professional or Green Associate is preferred.
Please include a cover letter, resume and salary history when responding.
Part-time employees receive free parking and discounts in The Shop in the Park, The Shop at Phipps and Café Phipps. By maintaining an average of 15 hours per week, part-time employees can enroll in Phipps education classes tuition-free. After one year and 1,000 hours, part-time employees are eligible for the retirement program.
Guest Service Associate
Phipps is seeking part-time Guest Service Associates with friendly smiles and extraordinary customer service skills to assist with general admissions and gift shops. Combine your love of people and plants to welcome guests to Phipps! Applicants must have flexible schedules (15-20 hours per week), including weekday, Friday evening and weekend availability. Please include a cover letter and resume when responding.
As one of the nation’s oldest and largest Victorian greenhouses, Phipps provides the perfect location for any special event. Phipps is seeking a part-time Event Assistant to assist at weddings, receptions, showers, holiday parties, corporate meetings and other events throughout the year. Candidates must have a flexible schedule, including the ability to work weekday evenings and weekends. Please include a cover letter and resume when responding.